turn on PHP 5 compatibility mode

There is no compatibility mode and none is needed because most properly written php4 scripts will work as is under php5 - http://us.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php

It is more likely that you will find that existing scripts are not using the current recommend php.ini configuration and therefore need to be updated to run under php5 that is using the current recommended php.ini settings.

If you were to post a link to author's web site for the script you are using, someone could probably help you.

There is no php compatibility mode so the message the script is outputting is meaningless without knowing what exactly it is testing for.

LOL, the choice of wording in the error message is completely misleading. There is no PHP 5 compatibility mode because what the script is trying to set and test is the zend.ze1_compatibility_mode. Here is the code from the installation script -

// check PHP 5 compatibility
if(substr(phpversion(), 0, 1) >= '5')
{
  $good = ini_set('zend.ze1_compatibility_mode', '0') === false ? 0 : 1;
  $canContinue = $canContinue && $good;
  Message ( 'PHP 5 compatibility mode: ', $good );
}

That code is bogus anyway because it returns the old (existing) value when the ini_set() is called, not the result of the ini_set(). Since the value was not as expected, what does a phpinfo(); statement show for the zend.ze1_compatibility_mode setting and what is the php5 version you are trying this on?  zend.ze1_compatibility_mode has been completely removed in php 5.3 and cannot be set and will always return a zero value.

• 3 years later...

hi red dragon. i hope you get this mesage 7-6-13 . i just began building in a dedicated server and i have this same prob with tufat flash witch i didnt have with my vps. have you found the cure for this problam? if this fix withen "whm" of cpanel?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.