Problem inserting latitude-longitude data into float column

SaturdayNightSpecial

Hello,

I've tried multiple settings and done a bunch of searches but still can't get this figured out.  I'm trying to insert latitude and longitude data into a mysql column set as a float 10,6 and it will not insert the data.  The closest I've come to getting it to do anything is to show the data as 0.000000.  I can't remember for sure but I think that was when the form was submitted without any entries in the latitude and longitude fields.

I'm a novice using dreamweaver to build this site.  I've tried changing the data "type" in the Dreamweaver "insert record" server behavior too but nothing has worked.  If there is anything in the latitude and longitude fields then the entire "insert" fails.  The data type is currently set to numeric.

I tried putting the data in the latitude/longitude fields without the decimal point or a minus sign and the entire record did insert but the latitude and longitude both came in as 10000.000000.

I wish I had more info to give you but that's all I can think of.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Fenway,

It's version 5.0.51a

I started with FLOAT because that's what the documentation for GoogleMaps recommended but I've been working on it more and it seems to be a validation problem in the code.  That field won't even insert the data if there's a decimal point in it.  It will accept the minus sign though.  I'm building the site with Dreamweaver using the WebAssist extensions and I tried adding a validation with it setting it to alphanumeric and allowing the optional character "." , the period and that didn't work either.  I've tried DECIMAL, VARCHAR, TEXT and INTEGER and none of them will insert the period.  At this point I'd just go with it if I could even get it to insert into a VARCHAR because I need to go live by March 1st and this will break the entire form submission if anyone tries to put the correct lat/long with a decimal in it.  If they try it then the form just won't insert any data without displaying an error message.

I've also tried changing the form field type with both numeric and text settings and neither of those has worked either.

Shouldn't a VARCHAR accept any character though?

Thanks,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.