Site times out a lot

zilk

i run a website with the host Webhostingpad.com. in the last month or so, my site has timing out quite frequently. if i constantly monitor it, it goes down for 5-10 minutes every 45-60 minutes. i contacted Webhostingpad's support department and their final response was "It seems to be a coding issue. Please optimize your site with the help of a programmer. Right now the site is working fine from our end.".

i have written the entire site's code myself, and i can think of no significant changes recently which would lead to this issue. last night i reviewed most of the code, removing site features that i thought might be troublesome, and the problem still occurs.

what is the best way to troubleshoot this problem? what should i be looking for?

Large looping areas, inefficient queries - things that will take time to process. If it is a problem with your script then it should be in the error logs for php saying the time and date that it is overloaded. Could increased traffic be the problem with the site?

it goes down

You can start by telling us what that means. What are the symptoms? What do you see in front of you that makes you believe that the site goes down?

What information is there in the server access and error logs?

Do you have php's error_reporting set to E_ALL, log_errors set to ON so that all php detected errors would be logged to the error_log location?

As it can be any problem with your site, maybe your queries, script structures. You can check your logs.

But looking at this page, i really do think it has much your hosting company problem. WHY? because the way they offer UNlimited things could cause that, and maybe they host unlimited hosts on one server.

http://www.webhostingpad.com/hosting-features.html

what is happening exactly: the browser will say the connection has timed out (any browser, also my FTP client). i, and also other users of my site, will be unable to connect (still getting time out error) for 5-10 minues. when i can finally connect again, it is always very slow for about 5 minutes, sometimes only loading pages halfway.

i created a php.ini file with error_reporting=E_ALL and log_errors=ON. the site went down again just a few minutes ago after i uploaded the php.ini. i checked error_log and it still doesn't report anything. i have also been checking the access log lately and i don't ever see anything unusual.

the site is a private forum with only 29 registered members, so the traffic is not high at all, though it may have increased a little lately.

what is happening exactly: the browser will say the connection has timed out (any browser, also my FTP client). i, and also other users of my site, will be unable to connect (still getting time out error) for 5-10 minues. when i can finally connect again, it is always very slow for about 5 minutes, sometimes only loading pages halfway.

i created a php.ini file with error_reporting=E_ALL and log_errors=ON. the site went down again just a few minutes ago after i uploaded the php.ini. i checked error_log and it still doesn't report anything. i have also been checking the access log lately and i don't ever see anything unusual.

the site is a private forum with only 29 registered members, so the traffic is not high at all, though it may have increased a little lately.

As i said above, it has more to do with your hosting company. Change it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.