MySQL "Connect Error (1045) Access denied" with SSL

BigBill

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem. I have some php code that needs to connect to a MySQL database on another server. The connection needs to be through SSL.

When I go to connect I get this error message:

Connect Error (1045) Access denied for user 'WebUser'@'mydomain.com' (using password: YES)

I have checked that I can log in with WebUser using another client program.

I am worried that PHP is not finding my SSL certificates. For testing purposes I am running the PHP server from my windows machine, and have the path for the certificates as "C:\temp\client-key.pem" etc. Does anyone else think this is the problem?

OK, I have found that it isn't the location of the SSL certificates. When I change the path to something that doesn't exist I get an error saying "SSL certificate error", so that rules that out.

But I am still having no luck. In desperation, I uploaded the code to my web server and tried it out there. Now things are even more confusing. When I try to run the page it just hangs and doesn't open at all - not even if I leave it for 15 minutes.

Here is the code:

define ("HOST","mydomain.com");
define ("USER","WebUser");
define ("PASSWORD","password");
define ("DATABASE","Database");	

echo phpinfo();

$mysqli = mysqli_init();

if (!$mysqli) {
    die('mysqli_init failed');
}

$mysqli->ssl_set('/etc/ssl/client-key.pem','/etc/ssla/client-cert.pem', '/etc/ssla/ca-cert.pem',NULL,NULL);

if (!$mysqli->options(MYSQLI_INIT_COMMAND, 'SET AUTOCOMMIT = 0')) {
    die('Setting MYSQLI_INIT_COMMAND failed');
}

if (!$mysqli->options(MYSQLI_OPT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT, 5)) {
    die('Setting MYSQLI_OPT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT failed');
}

if (!$mysqli->real_connect(HOST, USER, PASSWORD, DATABASE, NULL, NULL, MYSQLI_CLIENT_SSL)) {
    die('Connect Error (' . mysqli_connect_errno() . ') '
            . mysqli_connect_error());
}

If I remove the MYSQLI_CLIENT_SSL flag I get the error message "Connect Error (1045) Access denied". If I put the flag in the page just hangs and never loads.

What could be wrong? I mean, this code was copied and pasted straight out of the PHP documentation!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.