My Social Networking Website. In progress, looking for suggestions

shortysbest

Great site, very clean and simple.....i love that.

Poor name. Anything with hell in it will turn people off, not that you meant to do that lol ! All I see is "kit" "hell"....doesn't matter if its kith-ell.....people see HELL. haha

If you adjusted the url, i think you will do just fine.

On a side note: removing friends

When I first got on fb i would add every asshole I ever knew to my friends list......then I realized I didn't talk to them 20 years ago why start now? So I wanted to remove all my friends and start over. Well you can't ! You have to individually click the damn box on every single friend. Add an option to remove all friends :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a bottom bar to place your footer along with some sort of chat for the site would be good.

I noticed your footer floats to bottom of content versus bottom of pages.

I have been trying to figure out how I want to have the chat and everything - I would like to have it a bit different than say like Facebook if possible but I don't think there's really a better way of having one so I may end up just going something like that.

Yeah the footer - I'm not sure which way I prefer, perhaps I will make it stay at the bottom of the page rather than content but we'll see.

Thanks!

P.S. Regarding the account login - I believe the issue is that if you copy and paste the password, it for some reason adds a space to the end of it (even though you don't select one here), and that's the cause of it not working.

P.S. Regarding the account login - I believe the issue is that if you copy and paste the password, it for some reason adds a space to the end of it (even though you don't select one here), and that's the cause of it not working.

You could trim the whitespaces from the user inputs before using them.

trim()

I took a quick look at your site and it looks very nice! I didn't look for the "continuous YouTube playback", but that sounds quite impressive. I don't know what your goal is with your site, but if it is more than just a playground, then I would be a little concerned about how you are probing/polling your server in intervals on the "wall". I imagine that your server could quickly get busy with a decent amount of users. You may also want to reconsider the data that you are transferring within your JSON. It looks like you are sending along a list of friend IDs; having many friends whose IDs have to be transferred every 500ms (?) for several users could do bad.

In the end, it probably doesn't matter (at least not for quite a while), but I just had to comment on it. :) Other than these details, I like what you have done!

Thank you for your feedback.

I actually don't poll the server for all of the new content, I use websockets for that. The one continuous polling action that I do still have in place is a minor one for checking something i don't even remember what at this point actually. But yes everything else is "pushed" via websocket technologies. The list of friend ID's that get sent along are for telling my push server which users are able to recieve live data from users. So for instance, if you're not friends with user A then it won't send it. SOmewhere along the lines of that, it's just something I had to do in order to stop the push data from being sent to everyone on the site regardless.

Just a quick question, you have a "Find Friends" tab, which at the moment seems to list all members, but where is the search bar?

Yeah I haven't gone into designing the find friends page very much. I've still got to build that page up. However on the homepage you can search for people.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.