THANKYOU PHPFREAKS! Received 1st Place in Canada!!!!

phpSensei

Hello everyone,

I came back a few weeks ago from the Technological Skills Competition after a greuling 2 days of competing. The competition is 2 million students (high school/university) competiting in a technological skill to see who is the best in the country. My competition was in Website Development, we had to create a website similiar to facebook in 2 days and I was the only person who managed to finish scoring overall the highest from University and High School. The competition was any language you want to use, and I had the advantage here because some people were more design oriented then scripting php. I have under my belt 11 languages so I felt very confident at first until I met this girl who knew just as much as I did haha. It was an amazing experience, and next year I am heading off to the WORLD competition. I am 19 years of age and my father was also a programmer for Microsoft not too long ago, so he was mainly my inspiration for getting into the world of coding.

Heres the video of me receiving GOLD and my mom gave me a hug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JLd0NXkRw

Plans:

I will be going to google california next year in which I was offered a job.

Competition Information:

http://www.worldskills.org/

http://www.skillscanada.com/

Just wanted to say thank you to every single person on this forum, if it wasn't for your help when I just began php as a young nooblet wandering this amazing language, you guys gave me a helping hand and guided me towards the right path. Thank you

That is a truly amazing accomplishment -- how did you score a job with the big G?

Well there was all sorts of scouts and companies at the competition. There was famous chefs, construction workers and other people from all around, some from TV... The point of the competition is to seek out talent.. who is the best in their respective field. Apparently there were programmers from Google in Toronto and they said they were amazed at my work, since I was actually the only one to build a social network website under 12 hours using OOP and no other frameworks... The competition was divided into 2 days actually, 6 hours each day non stop..

The judges didn't know how to judge my work because I used a completely different paradigm than everyone else. They were expecting Precedural coding nicely laid out for them, they kind of hated afterwards trying to decipher everything.

I also received a letter which i can scan for you guys from the Ministre of Colleges and Universities with a letter of recommendation to any college/uni of my choice. I competed at Waterloo university, the top University in the world for computer science, so Instead of working for Google i think i face my direction towards a degree...

Funny thing is, I received an award for Excellence in Academics while I was a 50% student my entire life even barely passed to graduate.

Buts all thanks to you guys, if i was google, I would hire the entire PHPfreaks Staff, you guys are light years ahead me!

Buts all thanks to you guys, if i was google, I would hire the entire PHPfreaks Staff, you guys are light years ahead me!

if only... :P

Haha..

KingFillip... Leading programmer for Google..

PHPsensei ... CEO

Sensei: KINGFILLIP MAKE ME SAMMWICH!!

KingFillip: NO U!

Sensei: Your fired.. GTFO!!!

I think we would be too busy on the medicine balls ahah..

Every time I hear the words "light years" I think of this Big Bang quote:

Penny: I'm guessing he's not looking for a fling. He's the kind of guy who gets into a relationship for, I don't know, like you would say lightyears.

Sheldon: I would not say that. No one would say that. A lightyear is a unit of distance, not time. You see, people hear the word 'year' and they think of duration. Footpound has the same problem, that's a unit of work not of weight... It's common mistake.

I wish I could work at Google, only because their offices look simply amazing. :D

That is a truly amazing accomplishment -- how did you score a job with the big G?

I also received a letter which i can scan for you guys from the Ministre of Colleges and Universities with a letter of recommendation to any college/uni of my choice. I competed at Waterloo university, the top University in the world for computer science, so Instead of working for Google i think i face my direction towards a degree...

Funny thing is, I received an award for Excellence in Academics while I was a 50% student my entire life even barely passed to graduate.

Wow this is a tough decision.  On one hand U. of Waterloo for comp sci would be an amazing experience.  I still remember using Waterloo Pascal in  my undergrad days.  On the other hand, Google is pretty much at the forefront of scalable computing.  Not to mention that you will be getting paid.  I would have to seriously consider working for Google, as you can always go back to academia, but it's only so often that what is considered the top tech company in the world comes calling job in hand.  Also, assuming you will be in the SF Bay area, that's a great place to work and live for someone young.  I worked for some computer companies back in the day, and it was an incredible place to work and live.

You seem pretty willing to bust your ass for awhile, so to speak.  If I had your opportunity, I'd really consider taking the job at Google while having them pay for most of my degree at Stanford or UC Berkeley or the like.  It'd suck for the 4-5 years you might be doing that, but you could be coming out of that with a degree from one of the top CS schools in the world and several years of experience with one of the top software companies in the world.

You seem pretty willing to bust your ass for awhile, so to speak.  If I had your opportunity, I'd really consider taking the job at Google while having them pay for most of my degree at Stanford or UC Berkeley or the like.  It'd suck for the 4-5 years you might be doing that, but you could be coming out of that with a degree from one of the top CS schools in the world and several years of experience with one of the top software companies in the world.

Yeah if you wanted to try and get into Stanford, a job working at Google would be highly regarded by the admissions department I would think.  However, the cost of going there is pretty crazy too, although Google might provide decent tuition reimbursement. 

Gizmola,

You really think if I ask Google they will pay if it ever happened so that i did get accepted to stanford? They seem like they really take care of their employees too.

Yeah it's a perk that a lot of companies have, as xylex verified for you.  The other thing is, getting into Standford is not easy, but Google has such tight connections to them I'm just speculating that it would be a factor that would help bump you up the list.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.