cannot connect to server via PuTTy (SSH)

webguync

I am trying to connect to my Linux server via PuTTy on my windows desktop. I have so far been unsuccessful. I called tech support of my hosting company (Media Temple), and all they could tell me is they could connect themselves. I don't think they were using PuTTy though. I am using the default setting. And putting in the correct host name. Then when the login prompt comes up. I put in ssh root@ipaddress.com. I keep getting access denied. I verified that the password I use is correct. and I believe the settings I am using are correct. Any other way to troubleshoot?

Don't mean to sound at all patronising but is there any firewall enabled on your server?

If so open port 22, I think though as someone else is looking after them you won't need to worry about security since they will defend against this, having it being their network as such.

I mean I use my own and use my routers software for my security (having it being a custom based PC for this task).

Don't mean to sound at all patronising but is there any firewall enabled on your server?

If so open port 22, I think though as someone else is looking after them you won't need to worry about security since they will defend against this, having it being their network as such.

I mean I use my own and use my routers software for my security (having it being a custom based PC for this task).

Dedicated servers are generally hosted within a DMZ and all traffic is forwarded to them directly. It is usually the responsibility of the administrator to protect there own resources.

sure, I open up PUTTY.EXE.

for the host name I put in the host domain (I also tried IP address). The Port is 22 and the connection type is SSH.

Per the instruction from my hosting provider for the login I should put in ssh root@serveripadress.com since it is a dedicated server.

I get an access denied message when I do this. I verified with the tech support of the hosting provider that what I am doing is correct.

It is not correct via putty. On Linux you would use the ssh command to connect to an ssh server, via Windows you need to use a client called putty. Hence, typing 'ssh whatever' as your username makes no sense.

I suggest following the instructions neil.johnson posted several posts ago.

No, the op is getting a prompt, this means the connection was successful.

Sorry I am a bit asleep today, do you have a home directory and if not (just on the off chance of course) is your ssh setup from ./etc/ssh mean you have to have a valid directory to login? Some servers I have seen must require a home directory to login.

Apart from that I wouldn't know.

don't know if this helps, but the server is hosted with Media Temple and it's a dedicated (DV) server. Here are the instructions they provide.

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/16/Connecting+via+SSH+to+your+server#dv

this is why i was doing the ssh root@70.32.86.175 deal. I was following their instructions. I even called them to make sure I was putting in the correct info and they said I was.

First do this:

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/625/How+do+I+enable+root+access+to+my+%28dv%29%3F#dv

Now, in windows, open up putty. For the hostname put the server's IP address in, and select port 22. Click Open.

You should now get the login prompt.

For the username simply type: root

Press enter.

Enter the password that you setup for root by using the instructions in the link above.

Press enter.

Done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.