Use XAMPP or LAMPP on Production.

Hi,

I have 4 projects on XAMPP on windows 2003 server.

I like XAMPP on windows and LAMPP on Linux.

My colleague in office saying XAMPP is used for testing purpose and can not be used on production.

I am not agree with him . I check wiki page for XAMPP.

also

I have database password for my XAMPP.

Now,

I have to explain my Manager and my colleague regarding XAMPP security.

I need your help guys please provide me more information .

-Thanks

Hi ,

Thanks for the link.

If I want to use XAMPP for production then what are the configuration I have to do?

I use PHP and MySQL for my projects.

what is the best and secure software for running PHP and MySQL.

I know some software but not sure what will be best for production?

[1]. XAMPP

[2]. PHP and IIS ,Mysql separate.

[3]. EasyPHP

[4]. Apache and MySQL separate.

- Thanks

Hi thorpe,

Thanks for information.

Actually I am not using web hosting account.

I just need information regarding security and best PHP and MySQL software from above list.

I have server and domain. My network administrator map domain to application locally working on XAMPP.

Unfortunately my network administrator not familiar with XAMPP and PHP.He knows IIS good.

I am thinking IIS and PHP combination will be more secure than XAMPP.

I just need information from expert people and I will not blame anyone.

- Thanks

Unfortunately my network administrator not familiar with XAMPP and PHP.He knows IIS good.

Then maybe you should go with IIS.

The actual server software doesn't matter (in terms of this discussion). What matters is making sure the person setting it up knows what to do, how to do it, what not to do, and how to avoid doing it. If the guy knows IIS then don't make him deal with Apache; if the guy knew Apache then he shouldn't have to support IIS.

Using something like XAMPP just means you don't know what you're doing. That's the problem.

Hi thorpe,

Thanks for information.

Guys please share information or Google article link or any documentation regarding how to configure a server for production.

I mean best practices , important steps etc.

This will help us to make our production environment secure and good in performance.

- Thanks

• 1 year later...

Sorry, but if you have to ask these questions, your probably not really the person who should be responsible for running a production http server.

There are plenty of options around for managed hosting.

Hey trq I signed up just to reply to your post. FFS WE KNOW that you need to know what you are doing. No need to be rude. As an administrator you should lead by example. Anyways the point here is that you might want to setup your own damn server and host a production site and you might not know how so you use forums and ask people who know so that they can guide you to some place / tutorial / information source or just plain old typing.

You sound like you're saying in between the lines, "pay me and I'll set it up for you". Now go ahead and block / ban my account!

According to what your are writing, it doesnt seem you are a tech guy and you are completely newbie in servers and hosting industry.

I think its bad idea to run XAMPP for production env. If you are setting up server env, you will be responsible for any downtimes, hardware bail outs, software updates, backups etc.

Better to host with hosting company or google for php paas.

Edited by ankur0101

Hey trq I signed up just to reply to your post. FFS WE KNOW that you need to know what you are doing. No need to be rude.

I fail to see whats rude about my reply, telling people how it is isn't rude.

You sound like you're saying in between the lines, "pay me and I'll set it up for you".

30000+ posts on this board, and I have not once asked for, nor received any form of monetary payments.

Now go ahead and block / ban my account!

Why? You have done nothing wrong.

Now... can we please stop bumping old threads?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.