About The New Forums

Philip

All -

We have recently upgraded our forums to new software - IPB. PHP Freaks has been needing to grow and expand, which our previous software did not really allow us to do. We're excited to make the first steps of bringing in new features to our members and this conversion was definitely a giant leap in the right direction. Of course with change comes pains, but we've done our best to mitigate these. However, if you see anything wrong or have suggestions / complaints, we definitely would love your opinion to be heard.

You'll also notice with the upgraded forums a new look. We're updating our branding and will be tweaking this over the next few weeks to make the new skin a bit more bearable.

What else is in store for PHP Freaks? We're in the process of developing a brand-new main site with more features, upgraded branding (to match here) and most importantly - more content! Yup, more tutorials, articles, etc. will be coming in the next few months.

Again, thank you for your patience as we fix any bugs! :)

The PHP Freaks Team

--

Other notes:

If you have an iPhone, you can get a mobile app ($1.99) that allows you to get push notifications (for replies, PMs, etc.) We do not own the app, it is our software providers, however our forums will support this.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was indeed faster than we expected (by quite a bit!)

And I made a note on the original post:

If you have an iPhone, you can get a mobile app ($1.99) that allows you to get push notifications (for replies, PMs, etc.) We do not own the app, it is our software providers, however our forums will support this. Android/WinMo users - sorry, no app at this time but they are working on it ;)

Short list of bugs/annoyances:

1. IC/TT tags not working.

2. "Go to first unread post" in the "new content" list (not checked elsewhere) does not go the the first unread post, but just opens the topic.

3. The horizontal scrollbar in code-blocks (and possibly other blocks) is not draggable, nor does it react to the mousewheel. Can only scroll by clicking on the bar's "empty" regions.

4. "Paste as plain text" is damn annoying, should be the default setting. Sucks to have to jump through hoops just to preserve intending on pasted code.

That's it for now, will add more when I find it. ;)

Oh, yeah. My browser is Opera 12 on Linux (64 bit Kubuntu), btw.

Edited by ChristianF

[*]IC/TT tags not working.

Yup, we have a new IC tag in place, but we need to rebuild all of the posts to make it go into effect for existing posts. We're waiting on adding in all of our bbcodes before doing this.

[*]"Go to first unread post" in the "new content" list (not checked elsewhere) does not go the the first unread post, but just opens the topic.

As Jesi suggested, you might need to mark all read (there is a link at the bottom "Mark Community Read" - this will reset your topic markings and should fix it. Unforunately topic marking is one of those things that can't be converted.

[*]The horizontal scrollbar in code-blocks (and possibly other blocks) is not draggable, nor does it react to the mousewheel. Can only scroll by clicking on the bar's "empty" regions.

Interesting, will look into it. We're also looking at adding in the horizontal scrollbar back.

[*]"Paste as plain text" is damn annoying, should be the default setting. Sucks to have to jump through hoops just to preserve intending on pasted code.

Not sure what you mean here?

Not sure what you mean here?

If I copy/paste code from my editor, it comes out without indenting.

IE:

<?php
function pr($a,$t=NULL){
print '<pre>';
if(isset($t)){
print '<h4>'.$t.'</h4>';
}
print_r($a);
print '<br><br></pre>';
}
?>

To get the indented code you have to select the paste as plain text icon, which only does 1 or 2 spaces where there was a tab? It looks like crap. It also didn't save all of my spaces.

<?php
function pr($a,$t=NULL){
print '<pre>';
if(isset($t)){
print '<h4>'.$t.'</h4>';
}
print_r($a);
print '<br><br></pre>';
}
?>

I also have no way to add an attachment when I'm on the preview post page. (right now.)

Edited by jesirose

Yeah, the "Go to first unread" works after visiting a thread anew. So I guess that's a solved one, or at least survivable. :P

Assumed you were working on the IC tag as well, but better safe than sorry. As far as the scrollbar goes, just let me know if you need more info/help on it.

Now, the "paste as plain text" bit...

My first post on this new forum software included a code block, and I noticed that after pressing CTRL+V the editor (quick reply) had stripped all of the indenting from the code. I had to click on the "Paste as plain text" button in the toolbar, and paste the code in the modal window, to get it to show up with the indenting in place. Highly annoying, especially when you consider how often we post code, in other words. Hopefully something can be done with that, to get it to preserve white-space when pasting code in the editor.

Just got another small issue, while typing this. :P

It popped up with a "1 new reply" message at the top of the screen, but since I was in the middle of typing something it disappeared before I could click on it. Now I don't see any ways to get it back, unless I wait for more posts to be added.

Jesi: I (think I) got mine to work with "Paste as plain text", so it's odd that neither of yours worked. I'd better go back and verify with my post...

Now, the "paste as plain text" bit...

My first post on this new forum software included a code block, and I noticed that after pressing CTRL+V the editor (quick reply) had stripped all of the indenting from the code. I had to click on the "Paste as plain text" button in the toolbar, and paste the code in the modal window, to get it to show up with the indenting in place. Highly annoying, especially when you consider how often we post code, in other words. Hopefully something can be done with that, to get it to preserve white-space when pasting code in the editor.

Agreed, that is a pretty big issue for a coding forum. We'll take a look into it.

Just got another small issue, while typing this. :P

It popped up with a "1 new reply" message at the top of the screen, but since I was in the middle of typing something it disappeared before I could click on it. Now I don't see any ways to get it back, unless I wait for more posts to be added.

Yeah, we'll be changing the "new reply" notification. Both keeping it around longer & having it poll more frequently.

I have had a look at my new profile. Can someone explain to me the concept of "Friend"?

Never having had one before, this is totally alien to me.

How does it work?

Do I buy them drinks on a Friday night after work?

Is one obliged to buy them, and their children, birthday and Christmas presents?

Please help.