About The New Forums

Philip

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it's a terrible concern, but if you change the theme on one computer/device it applies to all versions. While this sounds rudamentary, the issue is the mobile view is a theme setting. Like I said, not a major concern, but it would be nice if the theme was cookie reliant instead of account reliant as each time users switch platforms the theme needs to be changed.

Not that it's a terrible concern, but if you change the theme on one computer/device it applies to all versions. While this sounds rudamentary, the issue is the mobile view is a theme setting. Like I said, not a major concern, but it would be nice if the theme was cookie reliant instead of account reliant as each time users switch platforms the theme needs to be changed.

I don't understand what you're saying. When I go between my phone and my computer, the phone stays mobile and the computer stays desktop.

Didn't for me. I spent 3 hours at the DMV this afternoon so I wasn't even on the same IP, and had the theme as mobile view. When I got home and fired up the PC, it was in mobile view. And now opening my phone again, the phone is back to large view. Unless I've missed the other "mobile view" button, that's what I have.

Edited by Mahngiel

Unless you changed the theme on your desktop to mobile, it'll auto-switch from large to mobile when you're on a recognized device.

Well, I assumed it would poll my mobile, and maybe it did. I run a custom ROM + Kernel and use FF Mobile, so maybe it defaulted to standard. In fact, even in large view in FF the context menu gives the option to "Request Desktop Site", so perhaps this is an anomaly.

Edit. I downloaded another browser, and it detected the mobile version. So I suppose Firefox mobile is the cause here. I'm going to just shrug and wonder if there wouldn't be enough cause for a 'mobile view' link in the footer.

Edited by Mahngiel

• 2 weeks later...

All I use for my Forum based websites is IP. Board, It's sturdy, easy to use and has a full Moderator Control panel as apposed to Inline Moderation. For those having code troubles, the WYSIWYG editor features a Code BB tag that's easily usable.

Keep in mind that if you reply without the WYSIWYG editor and are writing out BB Code yourself, you have to Unlink static links to images before putting them into the [.img] tags. Just food for thought.

Hey guys, looks great. Well done to those that did the change over. Not very active anymore but it's great to see the community continue to grow.

Hey Jaysonic, good to see you, even if it's just a quick hello.

• 1 month later...

What about an android app?

For the forums there is a nice mobile view already, also IPB also has an app you can download for you phone. For the main forums, I'm not sure there's a need.

What about an android app?

Unfortunately IPS (the people who make our forum software) decided against making an Android app. Like @Maq said, the forums have a great mobile view though which has been optimized for various mobile devices. The only thing you'd be missing out on is push notifications - in which, I'd suggest just turning on email notifications as those are instant.

• 1 month later...

If you have an iPhone, you can get a mobile app

Do you have any info, or maybe I missed it, for how to configure the mobile app? It asking for a Community name and URL, for which I am struggling to get any combination to work. I've tried about 20 different combinations.

You should just enter in http://forums.phpfreaks.com and it will work. You can name it whatever you want, as its pretty much just a label for you.

I'm almost positive I tried that before. But I think I know the missing step, at least for iPhone...

Once the community has been added, it doesn't automatically connect to it. You need to physically choose it from swipe bar and THEN it will load. I was always stuck in the loop of forever loading and connection error messages.

Posted this from the mobile app ;)