How Do I Change P Class Based On A Condition?

wright67uk

I'm a big fan of these:

HTML (Inline PHP)

<p>I'm a normal text</p>
<p class="<?=($bold)?"bold":"italic"?>">I should be bold or italic based on a PHP Variable!!!</p>

Note: some server's don't have "<?=" enabled this is simply "<?php echo" so the long version would be:

<?php echo ($bold)?"bold":"italic"; ?>

Edited by DarkerAngel

"Short tags" are deprecated and shouldn't be used, they'll be out of the language entirely soon.

You may want to check your facts on that :)

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.short-open-tag

This directive also affected the shorthand <?= before PHP 5.4.0, which is identical to <? echo. Use of this shortcut required short_open_tag to be on. Since PHP 5.4.0, <?= is always available

What I think has been depreciated from the short tags, to my knowledge, is the opening <? which should be depreciated. I tend to use the <?= for .phtml type template files.

Edited by premiso

You're right, it was marked for permanent deletion and then they changed their mind. With that amount of back and forth I don't trust them for it, but as of this writing they're "always available"

They were never marked for removal.

"Short tags" were marked for removal in PHP6, but that "official" decision is nowhere to be found in their changelogs.

Googling for it produces many articles like this one reporting on the short tag removal (which applied to both <? ?> and <?=$var?>).

As far as I can tell:

Short tags and short tag echoes were considered the same thing, and controlled by an ini setting.

They were deprecated briefly in the spring 2009.

That decision was reversed in the summer of 2009 (and I didn't notice).

PHP 5.4 split short tags and short echoes into two separate features, and turned short echoes on regardless of short tag settings.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.