Update And Insert Help

nodirtyrockstar

I would like to update a table or insert if a specific combination of indices do not already exist. The table is very simple.

CREATE TABLE `sessProdLnk` ( `products_id` varchar(20) NOT NULL, `sessions_id` varchar(255) NOT NULL, `qty` int(6) NOT NULL, KEY `products_id` (`products_id`), KEY `sessions_id` (`sessions_id`) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

So, I would like to search for a match between my data, and any row in sessProdLnk where both the sessions_id and products_id match. Then I would like to update any entries in qty where they match, and insert a new row for any data pairs that do not have matches.

I know some of this comparison may have to be done programmatically in the php script, but I am still getting to know MYSQL and was wondering how much of the work it will do for me given these parameters.

Edited by nodirtyrockstar

I actually reexamined the architecture of the database. Essentially I had two fields that were not unique, but what would be unique is the combination of the two fields. I created another field which is a combination of the session ID and product ID. This creates a singular unique key and allows me to use the ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE command.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.