How Much To Charge For A Blog?

Stefany93

Hello,

I received a project to create a custom blog with comments. How much do you think I should charge for it?

I was thinking something like 300$. Is it too much or too little?

I created like thousands of blogs so I can do that one quickly.

Best Regards

Stefany

You have created thousands of blogs but are yet to work out how much to charge?

You really want us to put a price on your time?

How should we know what your time is worth to you? Only you can answer this question.

Personally, doing any kind of freelance stuff I won't bother for less than $120/hr. You however, I wouldn't have a clue.

It depends on several things. Like trq said, it depends on what you feel your work is worth. That should be an honest assessment based on your skill, how professional your end results are, how much time you tend to take, etc. But, you also need to have a general idea of the market price in your area for that kind of product. In my area of the world, a WordPress installation with a simple custom theme (just HTML and CSS) is about $500 American. But that's what the average cost is in the seacoast area of NH (emphasis on average). It's likely different in your part of the world.

Once you have figured out a good price, you need to make a business decision: do you just charge that? Do you charge less to undercut the competition in order to spur customer loyalty? Charge a bit more if you think it's a one-shot, no maintenance project?

^^ Thank you very much KevinM1, your post helped me a great deal.

There is a very little competition in the Bulgarian programmer freelance market since few Bulgarians know programming so guess I don't have to charge that much then just like you suggested.

Exactly. Little competition means you can charge more since you're offering a niche service. You need to charge more in order to make up for the lack of demand, especially if you can offer a premium service compared to your few competitors.

I understand that it can feel a bit... awkward charging a sizeable fee for what you consider to be easy/trivial. Just remember that not everyone can do what we do, and your charges also offset operational costs (domain registration, hosting costs, software costs (image editors, IDEs, office software, etc.), hardware costs, etc. If you're a freelancer, your charges also help offset any lulls in employment.

The point is not to gouge, but to not short change yourself. In this kind of business, the only one who has your best interests at heart is you. Never forget that.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who actually does this sort of thing for a living (freelance or employee) knows there is a lot more to it than just sitting down and writing the code. 

I find that a good portion of any project is spent playing babysitter/psychiatrist for the client. Writing code is the trivial part.

I find that a good portion of any project is spent playing babysitter/psychiatrist for the client. Writing code is the trivial part.

Yup, same.  99% figuring out wtf they want, how much should be charged, timelines, misc project management, followup communications/billing, etc.. 1% actual sit down and code. 

Yup, same.  99% figuring out wtf they want, how much should be charged, timelines, misc project management, followup communications/billing, etc.. 1% actual sit down and code. 

With new clients there's also the building of overall trust, which can be a process in itself. It's one thing to claim "My job is to build you a site that can increase your bottom line." It's another to prove it to them. And any client that cares about their own business will be hesitant with each step.

Yup, same. 99% figuring out wtf they want, how much should be charged, timelines, misc project management, followup communications/billing, etc.. 1% actual sit down and code.

Honestly, this is what I would have done:

1 - Find out the country from where the client is making the request.

2 - Contact other web-developers from the same country -- offering the same requirements -- and ask them for their price-range. Boom, you now have a rough idea.

3 - Then, based on how you market yourself, you can charge what you would think is appropriate.

With new clients there's also the building of overall trust, which can be a process in itself. It's one thing to claim "My job is to build you a site that can increase your bottom line." It's another to prove it to them. And any client that cares about their own business will be hesitant with each step.

This is why weekly updates to the client are a good idea :) . Giving them bits and pieces of what you're doing as you go along is a good idea too (unless your client has a modicum of understanding of software development processes and gives you a spec).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.