22 replies to this topic

#21 KevinM1

KevinM1

Snarkimus Prime

• Moderators
  • 5,151 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yup, same.  99% figuring out wtf they want, how much should be charged, timelines, misc project management, followup communications/billing, etc.. 1% actual sit down and code. 

With new clients there's also the building of overall trust, which can be a process in itself. It's one thing to claim "My job is to build you a site that can increase your bottom line." It's another to prove it to them. And any client that cares about their own business will be hesitant with each step.

#22 yoursurrogategod

yoursurrogategod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yup, same. 99% figuring out wtf they want, how much should be charged, timelines, misc project management, followup communications/billing, etc.. 1% actual sit down and code.

Honestly, this is what I would have done:
1 - Find out the country from where the client is making the request.
2 - Contact other web-developers from the same country -- offering the same requirements -- and ask them for their price-range. Boom, you now have a rough idea.
3 - Then, based on how you market yourself, you can charge what you would think is appropriate.

#23 yoursurrogategod

yoursurrogategod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

With new clients there's also the building of overall trust, which can be a process in itself. It's one thing to claim "My job is to build you a site that can increase your bottom line." It's another to prove it to them. And any client that cares about their own business will be hesitant with each step.

This is why weekly updates to the client are a good idea :) . Giving them bits and pieces of what you're doing as you go along is a good idea too (unless your client has a modicum of understanding of software development processes and gives you a spec).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com