Gd2 Windows

Hi All,

I have an installation of PHP 5.2.4 with Apache 2.2.4 and I am trying to install the GD2 extension.

I have read everything I can find on the web and nothing helps.

I found I only need to uncomment the text ';extension=php_gd2.dll'.

My php.ini does not contain that line so I added it right after 'extension=php_mysqli.dll' under 'Dynameic Extensions'.

My extensions folder is 'C:\php\ext' and on checking was completely empty. A search for the dll came up with nothing so I downloaded php 5.2.17, opened the zip and copied everything from the ext folder to my 'C:\php\ext' folder.

Restarted the server but there is no GD2 section when accessing phpinfo.

I am a software developer by trade and find the whole php/Apache environment chaotic when applied to Windows (I hope it is better on Linux).

As an aside why do I have four php.ini files? I have found 'the one' by reading my phpinfo but this is a little confusing?

Any ideas please?

Kindest regards

David

ext\ should not be empty. There should be quite a few files in there, and php_gd2.dll should be there too.

Four php.ini files you say? You need to figure out which of those matter. Figure out how many installations of PHP you have. And remove the ones you don't want.

What method did you originally use to install php? An all in one apache/mysql/php (xAMP) package or the php .msi installer? For an all in one package, you generally must use the control panel for that package to install php extensions. For the php .msi installer, you must use the Windows add/remove control panel to install php extensions.

Hi,

I have removed all but the one in C:\PHP5 which the phpinfo said was 'the one' and restarted the server, all OK so got the right one.

I used `php-5.2.5-win32-installer.msi' to install originally and I have to say it ran from the word go and has never had a problem.

I have always feared a reinstall as I have read about a few problems caused by doing this.

I can always set a restore point and jump in.

Only took a mo, I used the WinStaller and found the option right away and now have GD2 installed and running, sorry all I never have to do anything to php or apache as it just works and so I forget it all.

Many thanks to all respondees,

David

Think I may be pushing it a bit but as an aside when I log on here the logon screen looks like a lightbox, does anyone know how to do this, or know of a good tutorial?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.