• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arachian

Arachian

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

I have never used PHP before. I am working on a project for a buddy of mine who runs a small business. His site needs a "Registration" page so that if someone wants to take his class, they register on the website and pay a deposit via paypal. He then wants the information from the form exported to a spreadsheet and he wants to have a complimentary email sent to the student saying they have been successfully registered for the class. I was told PHP was the way to go for the server-side handling of the form data. I know this is such a newbie question, but I have no idea where to start. I would greatly appreciate it if someone more experienced in the subject-matter could point me in the right direction! All I know is that I need to download mySQL, Apache web server, and PHP. Am I correct in that statement? If so, what's next? Thanks!

#2 Barand

Barand

Sen . ( ile || sei )

• Gurus
  • 14,373 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

here's one starting point

http://php.net/manua...ing-started.php

or

http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

moon.png

|baaGrid| easy data tables - and more
|baaChart| easy line, column and pie charts
|baaSelect| generate js and php code for dynamic linked dropdowns

#3 Christian F.

Christian F.

Advanced Member

• Staff Alumni
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

There are a couple of other subjects that you really need to study as well, if you're going to be working with financial data. Security is a huge field, and extremely important, in programming. There are also quite a few laws and regulations that enters the field, once we're start to talk about financial data.

The subjects which you need to study, as a minimum, are:
  • Input validation.
  • Output escaping.
  • Encryption.
  • SSL.
  • Client side vs. server side information.
  • Session security.

Also, remember: Never trust the client. Whatever information you get from the client can, and will, be manipulated in order to break your system.
Sounds easy, but client-side information can be found in some quite unexpected locations. Such as in $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], and so forth.

Edited by Christian F., 29 December 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Keeping it simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com