Have a splash page in addition to a home page

simcoweb

I've set up a Wordpress site and because it contains some adult oriented materials I've had to put up a splash page with a disclaimer. The Wordpress installation is in the root folder, same as the splash page.

I named the splash page as index.html. The 'home' page for Wordpress is index.php. On the splash page is a link to index.php (to enter the site) but it just keeps loading the splash page (the index.html) even though the button link is hard-coded to index.php.

Furthermore, once inside the site, if you click the 'Home' button in the menu it takes you back to the splash page even though it is also hard-coded for index.php.

I'm looking for the htaccess snippet that will identify these two pages and extensions as separate instead of confusing the index.html with the index.php which are probably, by default, both listed as default home page designations.

The .htaccess file contains the common permalinks mod_rewrite rules as follows:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

To summarize, i'm in need of the instructions that would identify these two file extensions as separate and allow for the links going to index.php to parse properly.

Any help would be dyn-o-mite. Thanks in advanced, people!

• 9 months later...

Why don't you have index.php (or every page) display the splash page instead of the normal site when the user doesn't have a cookie set? Seems a better safe guard than relying on them going through the home page, given it's a disclaimer. Also means you don't have to mess around with Apache configuration to go against the normal behaviour.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.