• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 katloubee

katloubee

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

So, I'm a complete PHP newbie, but I want to create a calculator, using my own calculations and then MAYBE taking some figures from a DB (this can come later),

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the calculator? I want it to have the same kind of format as mortgage calculators, in that a value is entered, and maybe some more information (like a rate, % etc) and then an answer is provided.

Any good tutorials? I have about 2 days. LOL

#2 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

You have 2 days to do a project you just decided to do to learn a language? Or, you didn't do your homework?

Try google.
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

How to Get Good Help: How to Ask Questions | Don't be a help vampire
Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?
Things You Should Do: Normalize Your Data | use print_r() or var_dump()
Lulz: "Functions should not have side effects." - trq

Please take a look at my new PHP/Web Dev blog: The Web Mason - Thanks!!

#3 katloubee

katloubee

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Neither. Work have asked me to try and create it, which I want to do to make a good impression.

You've been so helpful Jessica, thank you.

#4 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

This forum is for help with code you wrote, not finding you tutorials. 

You won't create a good impression by saying you can do something that you have no idea how to do. By all means learn PHP, but you're not going to create a good finished product in 2 days when you don't know PHP.

If your boss really asked you to do something you don't know how to do and gave you a deadline of TWO DAYS to create a web application, find a new job. Cause that's some crazy shit.
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?

#5 katloubee

katloubee

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I told them I don't know PHP or how to use it, they asked me to TRY and create it.

It's not a big deal, I'll look for tutorials on google, I just thought someone in this forum might know of some good ones.

#6 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

That's fine, I'm just saying 2 days is a very unrealistic deadline.

When you get some code started and run into problems, post it here and we can help. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com