• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Welp, I've encountered an error this time... Certain characters don't seemed to be displayed when I echo the data in PHP file. For example, the mdash (—) and the a with a tilde (which is necessary for certain places such as São Paulo). These show up as . Is there any way to get them to show normally? I've tried surrounding them with `'s and putting \'s in front of them, but I can't seem to find out how to get them to work.

#2 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

You'll need to have your character encoding set to UTF-8, both in MySQL and your PHP generated HTML.
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

How to Get Good Help: How to Ask Questions | Don't be a help vampire
Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?
Things You Should Do: Normalize Your Data | use print_r() or var_dump()
Lulz: "Functions should not have side effects." - trq

Please take a look at my new PHP/Web Dev blog: The Web Mason - Thanks!!

#3 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

You'll need to have your character encoding set to UTF-8, both in MySQL and your PHP generated HTML.

Thanks!

#4 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Okay, I changed the collation to utf8_unicode_ci. This changes the encoding set to UTF-8, right? For some reason I'm still getting �'s. Is there another way to do it or something?

#5 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

If the table wasn't already UTF-8 when you inserted the data, I don't know that you can convert it back. 
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

How to Get Good Help: How to Ask Questions | Don't be a help vampire
Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?
Things You Should Do: Normalize Your Data | use print_r() or var_dump()
Lulz: "Functions should not have side effects." - trq

Please take a look at my new PHP/Web Dev blog: The Web Mason - Thanks!!

#6 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I tried exporting and importing the table.  I also went in and redid a row, and it still shows up wrong.

#7 DavidAM

DavidAM

Advanced Member

• Gurus
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

-- I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape ... somewhere!

#8 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I know my HTML has to be UTF-8. Does that mean I need all my PHP in the body (since the HTML that makes the charset utf-8 is in the head)?

Thanks, I think this is the last question!

#9 Christian F.

Christian F.

Advanced Member

• Staff Alumni
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

The functions you use in PHP to manipulate the data have to be UTF-8 compatible as well, yes.
Though this is only true for the functions that actually manipulate the string data that contains UTF-8 characters, it's better to treat all strings as if they were UTF-8. That way you are ensured that you will not encounter any future bugs, related to differing charsets.

That said, I suspect there are one or two places where you've might have forgotten to define the proper charset:
  • On the database connection, with *_set_charset ().
  • In the HTTP headers themselves, with the proper header () call.

The latter one is necessary because the meta-HTML headers are ignored by the browser, if they conflict with a HTTP header. So if your web-server is set to serve HTML as ISO-8859-1 by default (which a lot of them are), then your "meta http-equiv" HTML header is quite ineffective.

I also recommend reading the article "The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)". As it says: It's the absolute minimum, and no excuses! :P
Keeping it simple.

#10 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

The functions you use in PHP to manipulate the data have to be UTF-8 compatible as well, yes.
Though this is only true for the functions that actually manipulate the string data that contains UTF-8 characters, it's better to treat all strings as if they were UTF-8. That way you are ensured that you will not encounter any future bugs, related to differing charsets.

That said, I suspect there are one or two places where you've might have forgotten to define the proper charset:

• On the database connection, with *_set_charset ().
  • In the HTTP headers themselves, with the proper header () call.

The latter one is necessary because the meta-HTML headers are ignored by the browser, if they conflict with a HTTP header. So if your web-server is set to serve HTML as ISO-8859-1 by default (which a lot of them are), then your "meta http-equiv" HTML header is quite ineffective.

I also recommend reading the article "The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)". As it says: It's the absolute minimum, and no excuses! :P

Thanks.  I tried this:
/* change character set to utf8 */
if (!mysqli_set_charset($con, "utf8")) {
    printf("Error loading character set utf8: %s\n", mysqli_error($con));
} else {
    printf("Current character set: %s\n", mysqli_character_set_name($con));
}
to test, and the output was "Error loading character set utf8:"  I don't understand.

#11 Christian F.

Christian F.

Advanced Member

• Staff Alumni
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Me using the * in the function name like that, and linking to the MySQLI version, was a subtle hint to tell you that:
  • I don't know what library you're using to communicate with the database.
  • And in any case, you really should be using MySQLI or PDO.

Since you got the error message, I'm assuming that you're still using the old and outdated mysql library. I recommend updating your scripts to use the current libraries, before the old one is completely removed from PHP. Alternatively, use the old mysql_* version of the function, in the meantime.
Keeping it simple.

#12 Janj

Janj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I found out that putting the HTML code for the character (such as  ) works without messing up.  Thanks for your help, I learned something!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com