Problem With String Containing Single Diamond Bracket

poddys

I am coding a series of preg_replace expressions to try and strip unnecessary html/css code from text that was originally created using FCKEditor and is being copied programatically into CKEditor.

All works well until I try to do a search/replace on a string that ends with a ">". No matter what I try this does not work, it either appears to do nothing or it errors and my resulting text is empty.

In this case, if a table definition does not have a width defined, I want to add a width of 100%.

The old/new strings and replace expression (str_replace in this case) are below.

$oldstring = 'cellspacing="0">';

$newstring = 'cellspacing="0" width="100%">';

$textstring = str_replace($oldstring, $newstring, $textstring);

It seems that the problem is related to the ">". If I take this out, it works ok. However I want to be sure that "cellspacing" is the last tag for a table definition (the tags were added automatically by FCKEditor and are always in the same order).

Thanks for any help. I have been tearing my hair out for hours over this.

Good thinking, but it didn't seem to work unfortunately.

If I view the html text in Source mode using CKEditor it shows me ">" rather than ">" so I do believe this is not encoded.

I changed my code to the following:

$oldstring = 'cellspacing="0">';

$newstring = 'cellspacing="0" width="100%">';

$textstring = str_replace($oldstring, $newstring, $textstring);

but no joy.

The code is all on one line too, so no newline characters etc.

BINGO! Thanks PFM, I guess it was staring me in the face all the time, there was a space before the ">".

I changed this to use the following and it now works:

$textstring = preg_replace('/cellspacing="0"[ ]*>/', 'cellspacing="0" width="100%"\>', $textstring);

I was under the impression that the problem was the diamond, so leading myself on a false trail.

Appreciate the speedy and rapid help.

Tony

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.