• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 UbuntuJon

UbuntuJon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

How can a framework give you a tuff time to install? It's a php library.

Symfony2 can be a pain to install for not so experienced programmers. Specifically due to file permission issues. They even highlight this in their own documentation. I wouldn't really call it 'just a library', when it requires advanced command line usage.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's well designed.

Codeignitor is easy to use, and therefore has a pretty good following of people who are new to frameworks and don't know any better.

From a design perspective, CI is absolute rubish. I know people who were at one point in time making all of there cash through building web sites on top of this platform. Even these guys (who were being flown around the world for work) have moved to other, more modern, better designed frameworks and are once again, making a killing.

You still haven't backed up your claim that CI is poorly designed and 'absolute rubbish' with any examples of why? I don't think you can judge a framework on how much money people make from developing using that framework. Just because something is (or more importantly, is not) trendy, doesn't mean it is the best / worst.

Codeigniter is a great framework for projects where you may have no choice but to use shared hosting, with perhaps a not so up-to-date version of PHP. In that situation, choosing CI could save you a lot of time and stress.

Sometimes I think it is just considered 'cool' to shun simple and effective for overly complex and superflous.

#22 trq

trq

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 30,903 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

advanced command line usage

Advanced command line usage? I wouldn't say so.

You still haven't backed up your claim that CI is poorly designed and 'absolute rubbish' with any examples of why?

CI:
1) Is untested.
2) Is tightly coupled and therefore can never be well tested
3) Is very tightly coupled.
4) Is has very poor implementations of common patterns.
5) Has some of the ugliest code around.

The only good thing CI has going for it is its documentation, and even that, is nothing extraordinary IMO.

http://thorpesystems.com | http://proemframework.org | http://github.com/trq

SmtpCatcher - A very simple mock sendmail useful for testing PHP mail scripts.
OPM - My Linux package manager.

#23 newmarket

newmarket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

Trq,

I have some projects on CI. I don't have any recent experience with any other php frameworks. I only have a small development team and don't have a lot of extra resource to spend on investigation.

I am interested if you, or anyone else, have any meaningful suggestions on a better framework or two that we should investigate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#24 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I've attempted to use CI, and I've successfully used CakePHP, Symfony and Yii. If you need a framework, pick Symfony or Yii. NOT CI.
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

How to Get Good Help: How to Ask Questions | Don't be a help vampire
Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?
Things You Should Do: Normalize Your Data | use print_r() or var_dump()
Lulz: "Functions should not have side effects." - trq

Please take a look at my new PHP/Web Dev blog: The Web Mason - Thanks!!

#25 UbuntuJon

UbuntuJon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Trq,

OK maybe I was a bit dramatic saying Symfony requires advanced command line usage ;) But it is definitely more troublesome to configure than CI.

I have used both CI and Symfony2, and I feel they both have advantages/dissadvantages. Symfony2 can sometimes feel ridiculously over complex at times and make me want to bang my head against the wall. 

To be honest, I don't know that much about design patterns, but if CI is so poorly designed, why would someone like Phil Sturgeon, who seems to be well respected in the PHP world, work on it for so long?

Jessica,

I'm thinking about using Yii for next project. Would you recommend it over Symfony2? I want a framework that is fun, and Symfony isn't (IMO).

Cheers All,

Jon

#26 trq

trq

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 30,903 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

To be honest, I don't know that much about design patterns, but if CI is so poorly designed, why would someone like Phil Sturgeon, who seems to be well respected in the PHP world, work on it for so long?

Phil Sturgeon is well respected in the CI world. I'm not sure he has that much weight outside of that, though he is trying pretty hard by flogging Composer, Fig & Laravel.

http://thorpesystems.com | http://proemframework.org | http://github.com/trq

SmtpCatcher - A very simple mock sendmail useful for testing PHP mail scripts.
OPM - My Linux package manager.

#27 UbuntuJon

UbuntuJon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Phil Sturgeon is well respected in the CI world. I'm not sure he has that much weight outside of that, though he is trying pretty hard by flogging Composer, Fig & Laravel.

Fair enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com