Installation help needed please

Hi

I have Windows XP SP3 running IIS 7.5 Express.  I have downloaded "php-5.4.13-nts-Win32-VC9-x86.zip" and unzipped it to F: \php.

Do I need anything else to run html scripts with php scrips embedded inside?

I'm sorry if this has been done before, but there seems to be so many versions of everything and many other programs mentioned (MySQL. Apache, Windows Server etc)

I want to learn the php programming language and run a few simple scripts using Internet Explorer 8. I am using a book to do this.

Any help much appreciated - I am really confused.

Thanks

Dave

Do I HAVE to install Apache or does IIS do the same thing?

Do I HAVE to install MySQL if I don't want to do database stuff?

Having unzipped the PHP file and told IIS where to find php.exe nothing is working.

A little help would be appreciated - I seem to have wandered into an alternate universe here. LOL

Edited by zzdave

apache and iis are both web servers. you can use either one. unless you are doing something that requires iis, there's no good reason to mess around trying to install php under iis. you will probably get more uptodate installation help if using apache. you can also use one of the allinone win/apache/php packages if your goal is to just get php running as easy as possible on a computer. you don't need to install the mysql server if you don't want or need it.

afaik, for iis, you should install php as a fastcgi app. there are current installation instructions in the php.net manual. you would use php-cgi.exe. php.exe is the command line intrepeter.

Thank you Mac.  All I want to do is run a few simple scripts in my browser as shown in the book I have. The php scripts are set in an HTML page

<html>

<head>

<title>

My simple script

</title>

</head>

<body>

<?php

if this = that do this etc

?>

</body>

</html>

I didn't want to have to do a full wamp installation for this so looking for an alternative

Thanks for your help I will attempt to work on it.

Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.