My portoflio

Stefany93

Hello fellows,

I have been receiving a lot of hate mail recently that the design of my portfolio website is pretty much lame. Please note that I hired a designer to make the design of my website, basically, because I am a very crappy designer myself, I am only concentrated back - end. But still, having a totally ugly website is still not a good idea, so please folks, tell me kindly what I can do to make it look prettier because I have absolutely no idea!

Here it is: http://dyulgerova.info

Thank you so much!

EDIT: Sorry guys, I messed up the title...

Edited by Stefany93

The site would look fine, if you stepped back in time to the late 90's, unfortunately I would go back to scratch and try and get your money back from the developer. If you have no idea about design there are tons of free templates out there, and some of the cheap ones aren't too bad either. have a look at themeforest.net for a portfolio layout, you can get one for around £10

^^ Thank you for the replies everyone, but I don't want to buy a theme because they are made for people with no idea about programming and websites, while I know how to create website, it is just that the design part is running away from me...

I have to disagree with you on this one Stefany93. the reason you have themes in the first place is the same reason you are here. you are a php developer  not a web developer. Thats why we have templates, there are there to fill a need, not just for non programmers. If your building a website for a large / medium client, then you would not build the layout from scratch, you would pass it to a graphic designer / web developer to come up with the UI. These poeple have had years of experience in design, thats what they are there for

Yeah, you need to get your money back, or get your hands on that awesome time machine the designer used to come to 2013.

Comic Sans? No.

Glowing Shadowed Text? No.

The entire design is amateur. Google "CSS Design" and compare your site to ones on those sites. (On some design compilation sites you can sort by purpose or style)

Also, why do you have a link to a forum in your header? That doesn't even work...

I stopped looking at that point.

Design takes years to learn to do well. People can typically be good developers, or good designers. Or crap to middling at both. Programming and Graphic Design simply use different parts of the brain. Find people who are good at design and hook up with them.

Yeah, you need to get your money back, or get your hands on that awesome time machine the designer used to come to 2013.

Comic Sans? No.

Glowing Shadowed Text? No.

The entire design is amateur. Google "CSS Design" and compare your site to ones on those sites. (On some design compilation sites you can sort by purpose or style)

Also, why do you have a link to a forum in your header? That doesn't even work...

I stopped looking at that point.

Design takes years to learn to do well. People can typically be good developers, or good designers. Or crap to middling at both. Programming and Graphic Design simply use different parts of the brain. Find people who are good at design and hook up with them.

Thank you soo much! So I will change font - family of the logo and I will make it without shadows.

I am sorry, but when I click on the forum button, it works. I have no idea why it didn't work for you tho...

I would agree, it's kind of lame. But no worries! Since you are skilled in all the back-end, I would really suggest grabbing a free starter template online and editing it has you would like. At least then you have a starting point of design. As website design is my speciality, I would scrap the whole thing. Your portfolio should sell you, so it should be professional, neat, and inviting. Just some quick tips... try picking three main colors you want. I usually start with white and black, then an accent color. Add a simple banner at the top with your website name and/or logo. Loose the menu buttons and go with plain text. Find a repeated, simple, background image that doesn't distract from your content. Build one main colomn and separate the information by simple white space ( <br> tags or <p> ). Lasly, have a complete style sheet so you have some font variation.

If you have other quesitons, I'll try to help. :)

Hey fellows!

Thank you very much for the advice everyone, but I have decided to trash the whole website and make a new one anew, with my crappy design skills, because I believe that even tho I am world's worst designer, it will look way better than it does now at least. Besides, this website wasn't created by me and that buggs of me off. I told the designer who made it just to send me the PSD files and I would have coded it, but no, he just send me the ready HTML and CSS files...

Anyways, thank you again!

Edited by Stefany93

Honestly, you could have a way better website just by installing Wordpress and using the default theme. With minimal customization, you'd have a website that looks modern, and the default theme is responsive which is a bonus.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.