What do you think?

ballhogjoni

So I was just hired on at this company and the way they program is on a server using vi. Do you guys like this way of programming? We are using svn which seems to me to be old and outdated. Do you like Git or SVN? What are the pros and cons? For me I like to program locally on a local git clone of the dev branch then push my changes to the git dev branch.

Perhaps you could formally suggest a better approach to the current situation? They must just be thinking "not broke, don't fix it" not realising how much better it could be. Can't you mount the network server locally and access using your preferred editor/IDE?

So I was just hired on at this company and the way they program is on a server using vi. Do you guys like this way of programming?

No. That sort of development process omits one of the main benefits of working locally, having developers customize & optimize their own development environments.

We are using svn which seems to me to be old and outdated. Do you like Git or SVN?

It depends on what the needs are. They may accomplish the same end goal, but their implementations and usage are different. 

Edited by Maq

These are two of the things I would have asked about during the interview process.

If you didn't ask, while I believe you can make suggestions or even ask for the things that you want, you've made your own bed, your going to have to lie in it.

I need my development environment to be enjoyable & customisable. I use vim on *nix and wont touch Windows machines ever. I need decent version control (either svn, git or mecurial) and a clear process around it. I also usually inquire about any ticketing systems used and also how that process works.

I've worked for places that couldn't answer some of these questions properly but were excited that I had asked. They were happy to have me lead the way in terms or processes around version control and ticketing systems. This is something I personally enjoy.

If I were at an interview and asked these question and they couldn't be answered or I could tell the company didn't care, that would be it for me.

I turned down two jobs last year because they wouldn't have accepted having a developer using a Linux box, now did they use version control at all.

Are you saying that everyone there uses vi or that's the only allowed way?

I would say about 95% of my coworkers use vi. I prefer windows and use various text editors. No one cares as long as the work gets done. And yes we all do the work on the remote server (so my text editor has to use sftp), why bother doing it locally when I can do it on the dev site and test it right away?

We use svn git and cvs, depends on the project. We are slowly moving to all git.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you could formally suggest a better approach to the current situation? They must just be thinking "not broke, don't fix it" not realising how much better it could be. Can't you mount the network server locally and access using your preferred editor/IDE?

I ended up doing that

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.