Domain

remenissions

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right spot or not, but I have a question about domain names. For awhile now I have been using bluehost.com to host my online website. Recently I built a computer to replace that and set up my own webserver (hoping to reduce the 100$ a year). After portforwarding I wanted to register a Domain name so users can get to my domain. I went to register.com and made one for 15$, but they are wanting to charge me an extra 50$ to not put their stupid advertisement on it. I tried hiding it with css and deleting it with javascript but it automatically reloads into the webpage.... I am really upset and I feel scammed. Bluehost offered everything for a great deal, all I am wanting is a domain name...are there better options?? 

Thanks Trq I appreciate your help everytime! I called Register.com up and I was like I paid 5$ for the domain name, 11$ for it to be private, the guy on the phone said ah yes you bought our basic package. So what seems to be the problem? I'm like well I'd like to get the banner removed that you include with it, He says you'll have to upgrade to our premium package for 50$ more a year. I asked what comes with the premium package, he said we'll remove the banner for you. He cancled the account for me thankfully, and refunded me my money. I realize advertisement is the key to success in these kind of businesses. but I'm not paying 75$ a year when I can get so incredibly much more for 100$ a year. Anyways again, thanks!!!

Obviously he bought hosting too.

Even then, $100 or more a year for PHP hosting is crazy if you don't need a dedicated host.  For my small-to-mid range projects, I use shared hosting from ICDSoft.  It's about $72 a year, domain included.  Past that, I start looking for cloud hosting (heroku, or azure for my MS stuff) as I can pay a la carte.

Well they just called me again today, I guess the problem is they don't offer it with out hosting. Which was extremely deceptive considering they have you register a private domain for 16$ and then say unless you let us host for you for 50$ extra a year you're stuck with our advertisement banners on your website. I went with Kevin's suggestion at hover.com and it was exactly what I needed. I did however notice they put a little pop-up box advertisement if you click on an href link but its no problem at all. I'm pleased.

Edited by remenissions

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.