#1 computermax2328

computermax2328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

In the past I have messed around with WordPress templates and their CSS modifications. I started to dabble in template creation and I was wondering if I could use WordPress strictly for content creation and management? Instead of creating a template with header.php and sidebar.php and all that crap, can I just query the WordPress database? Mainly, I just don't want to have to upload a template.

Any articles on this if possible? I Googled around in my spare time, but no in depth research.

Thanks

Follow me on Twitter @maxrbaldwin

#2 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

What?
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

How to Get Good Help: How to Ask Questions | Don't be a help vampire
Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?
Things You Should Do: Normalize Your Data | use print_r() or var_dump()
Lulz: "Functions should not have side effects." - trq

Please take a look at my new PHP/Web Dev blog: The Web Mason - Thanks!!

#3 kicken

kicken

Wiser? Not exactly.

• Gurus
  • 2,569 posts
  • LocationBonita, FL

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sure, you could write code to query a WordPress DB and pull out the info you want. You just have to figure out what information you need and from which tables you get it.
Recycle your old CD's, don't trash them!
Did I help you out?  Feeling generous? I accept tips via Paypal or Bitcoin @ 14mDxaob8Jgdg52scDbvf3uaeR61tB2yC7

#4 computermax2328

computermax2328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I think that I am having a hard time understanding the folder structure of a WordPress template. For example, I have your website home page that I would like to look different then my posts or inside pages. The content is different as well as the look and style.

Maybe I am researching for the wrong word or phrase? Like a multi-layout theme.

Sorry if I am conveying this poorly. I am doing multiple things at once right now.

#5 computermax2328

computermax2328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Sure, you could write code to query a WordPress DB and pull out the info you want. You just have to figure out what information you need and from which tables you get it.

That is what I thought. Would I have to use the WordPress php code or can I just use my own queries?

Is this a best practice? If not what is?

#6 trq

trq

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 30,723 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

That is what I thought. Would I have to use the WordPress php code or can I just use my own queries?

Wordpress stores its content in a mysql database so you can use whatever you would like to access it.

Is this a best practice? If not what is?

It seems like a pretty daft idea. If you want to use Wordpress as your back end it seems logical that you should be using Wordpress themes fro the front end. It will be much less work in the long runas its already designed to work with there data structure.

Which buy the way are fucking terrible.

If your really thinking about accessing Wordpress's data yourself, just drop Wordpress all together. You gain nothing but a nice backend interface.

http://thorpesystems.com | http://proemframework.org | http://github.com/trq

SmtpCatcher - A very simple mock sendmail useful for testing PHP mail scripts.
OPM - My Linux package manager.

#7 computermax2328

computermax2328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Well I mean a good backend interface is what I am looking for. Any other suggestions for a better backend interface? Usability, simplicity and mobility are a plus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com