reading symbols from MySQL into php

ScrewLooseSalad

I have a MySQL database of addresses that has worked well up to now, however adding an Irish address with a....  '  .... symbol in it has thrown it off completely, I can see why this would happen, but is there a simple solution to avoid this problem in future? I was thinking this must be a common enough problem for there to be a function to fix inputs or something, I noticed phpMyAdmin doubles up the symbol and the entry is entered correctly...

This depends on what database client library you are using (mysql, mysqli, pdo)? If you're using the old mysql_ functions then you should have been using mysql_real_escape_string() to escape all of your string input.

This depends on what database client library you are using (mysql, mysqli, pdo)? If you're using the old mysql_ functions then you should have been using mysql_real_escape_string() to escape all of your string input.

I'm fairly certain that I've installed mysqli, I know I have installed it, as the warning flag that said it wasn't installed in phpMyAdmin dropped at the time I installed it;

I've been using the mysql_ functions, do I understand correctly that mysqli functions have different names, and I will have to go back and change all my functions?

Edited by ScrewLooseSalad

If you're using mysqli, use the mysqli class...

$mysqli = new mysqli(string $host, string $user, string $password [, string $database]);
You can then call all relevant functions as methods of $mysqli, like $mysqli->query("SELECT * FROM table");

Just a suggestion.

If you're using mysqli, use the mysqli class...

$mysqli = new mysqli(string $host, string $user, string $password [, string $database]);
You can then call all relevant functions as methods of $mysqli, like $mysqli->query("SELECT * FROM table");

Just a suggestion.

Wonderful, That almost seems a bit too straightforward!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.