Is Responsive Design an inevitable component?

mostafatalebi

Hello everybody

I wonder whether or not using a Responsive strategy is necessary when dealing with customer? I mean, is responsive design (now in 2013) a necessity and an inherent quality, or it is a very good extra option? Because, I'm new in web business, there are  customers out there who mentions responsive design, while the rest of them, simply are careless about it. What shall I do for those who are careless and ignore responsive design? Shall I go on and only consider desktop users or consider mobile users as well?

For web design, is it good to use Frameworks such as Foundation, or simply coding from the scratch?

An extra question, why some website offer a separate sub-domain to mobile, when it is possible to achieve it with responsive web design? (for instance, m.facebook.com).

Thanks in advance

Edited by mostafatalebi

IMO, most browsers on mobile devices, tablets, etc can render most HTML pretty well regardless of it being responsive. I think it is down to the functionality that you require in the site. If you have a lot of navigation links or drop down lists, or hover elements then responsive design works well to remove some elements or move elsewhere when viewing on different devices. A lot of our clients who have older sites are asking for a responsive template as they have started using iPads, tablets, etc to view their website on and notice some things don't quite work too well. Our designer uses responsive templates from the get-go on new projects.

An extra question, why some website offer a separate sub-domain to mobile, when it is possible to achieve it with responsive web design? (for instance, m.facebook.com).

A mobile site will not have all the functionality of a full blown website so sometimes it makes sense to have a mobile only version of the code-base. This can be done on a sub-domain as you have seen. You want to make a mobile version run as fast as possible as not all data networks are high speed. There will be other reasons for using sub-domains including traffic analysis, etc

I believe that responsive design will be more and more important as mobile only gets bigger.  I have used responsive on a couple of my sites and really like how it makes it easier to navigate and read content on those sites for my phone, I can only imagine that customers appreciate that just as much.  I don't really understand the use of a mobile domain, it's just seems like making 2 sites for the same purpose when responsive would achieve most of the same things.  In short, absolutely start doing responsive designs.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.