Find hashtags ignore html

DHood

I'm attempting to take a string and find/replace all the hashtags into links. This works except it messes up the html in the string, I want to ignore all html entirely.

#testing <span style="color: #bbbbbb">#asdfasd</span> #test

Right now using this:

$string = preg_replace_callback('/#([a-zA-Z_]+)/', array($this, 'renderHashTag'), $string);

#testing, #bbbbbb, #asdfasd, and #test all get picked up and I don't want #bbbbbb or #asdfasd to. I've tried several different things before posting here, I just can't seem to figure out how to ignore the html tags, someone recommended removing them but I don't want to do that as some of it may be important to the styling.

The biggest setback is the fact that you don't want to include #asdfasd. That one isn't actually inside an html tag the same way as #bbbbbb. By this logic..what would you say to the following?

<p>#testing <span style="color: #bbbbbb">#asdfasd</span> #test</p>

or

<div>#testing <span style="color: #bbbbbb">#asdfasd</span> #test</div>

or

<body>#testing <span style="color: #bbbbbb">#asdfasd</span> #test</body>

Point is virtually everything is "in" an html tag somehow. I can make a difference between #bbbbbb and the other 3, because #bbbbbb is part of a value in an html element attribute. But strictly speaking, there is no difference between #asdfasd and the #test or #testing. So first off, you need to be more specific about what you actually want to ignore. Anything inside an html tag or span tag specifically?

In any case, regex isn't really the best tool for parsing html. You should instead use a DOM parser to traverse the html elements.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.