Need help with function for errors

Mlaaa

Hi all

I have problem with making custom function to deal with my scripts i tried and look on google but cant find

here is code i have 

function errors() {
	$errors = array();
	$_SESSION['errors'] = $key->$errors;
	foreach ($_SESSION['errors'] as $error) {
		return $error;
	}
}

and i use it like this in my script 

$error[] = 'Please enter username and password.';

but when i call function i have errors 

Notice: Undefined variable: key in C:\xampp\htdocs\core\_func.php on line 37

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\core\_func.phpon line 37

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() inC:\xampp\htdocs\core\_func.php on line 38

please help me :D

what exactly are you trying to get your function to do? is it supposed to format and output the errors? add an error to the $error array? do something with a $_SESSION variable?

setting $error[] = 'Please enter username and password.'; is about as simple as this can get. what do you need a function for?

to write a function, you must first define what inputs (if any) it uses, what processing it will do, and what result or output it produces.

There's... a lot wrong with what you currently have, and it really highlights a lack of understanding about custom functions, arrays, and the difference between return and echo.

$_SESSION is already an array. If you want an $errors array to be stored in $_SESSION, then you simply assign each error to the array, then assign that to $_SESSION, like so:

session_start(); // IMPORTANT! You need this at the top of every file you want to access sessions in
$errors = array();

// somewhere else in your code where you want to store an error

$errors[] = "ERROR: You can't do what you tried to do!"; // note the []... that tells it to assign the value on the right to the 
                                                         // next open spot in the array on the left

// even lower in your code

$errors[] = "ERROR: You still can't do that!";

// assign it to $_SESSION

$_SESSION['errors'] = $errors;
So, on your display page, you can have:

session_start();

function errors()
{
    if (isset($_SESSION['errors'])) { // code defensively to prevent errors
        foreach ($_SESSION['errors'] as $error) {
            echo "$error<br />";
        }
    }
}

// blah blah more code

errors();

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.