Change text color of button after it is pressed

sparkynerd

I have created a PHP web page that allows me to control a serial device (a speaker selector matrix), and an Arduino (to switch an amplifier off and on) over my network. I am trying to make it so the text color changes on what ever button is pressed. The button presses are stored as a variable and then POSTed. I would like the text on the current button selected to turn red. There are 5 separate sets of buttons, so each set could have a button with red text at any time. Eventually, I would like to have a graphic next to the button which would change based on a button press. (baby steps!)

Attached is the web page. Please keep any answers in laymans terms, since I am a real PHP noob! This webpage is the result of A LOT of trial and error, but it works! Any suggestions are welcome!

audio.php

First, you should complement id property for buttons. For example:

<button name="LED2" id="btnLED2ON" style="height: 1.8em; width: 10em; font-size: 16px;" value="ON" type="submit">Power On</button>

<button name="LED2" id="btnLED2OFF" style="height: 1.8em; width: 10em; font-size: 16px;" value="OFF" type="submit">Power Off</button>

Note that id must be unique to HTML elements.

Next, you complement onLoad event for body tag as the following:

<body onload="audio_onload();">

You add script tags to implement audio_onload() function using javascript or Jquery as the following:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
function audio_onload()
{
   <?php 
        if ($LED2 == "ON")
        {
        ?>
            // Turn text color of Power On button into red
            document.getElementById("btnLED2ON").style.color = "red";
        <?php
        }
   ?>
}
</script>

• 5 weeks later...

dung's idea recommends javascript.  if youre not comfortable with that, you could stick with php.  capture the value of the POSTed variable and use an if statement.

<button name="LED2" style="height: 1.8em; width: 10em; font-size: 16px;<?php if( $_POST['LED2'] == "ON" ){ echo" color:red;"} ?>" value="ON" type="submit"></button>

<html>
<head>
<title> New Document </title>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
function changeBtn(btn)
{
if (! btn.style)
{
alert("Sorry, your browser doesn't support this operation.");
return;
}
btn.style.background = "red";
btn.style.color = "blue";
return;
}
</script>
This works fine for me.

</head>

<body>
<form id="f1" name="f1" action="" method="">
<br>
<input type="button" value="Try me" onClick="changeBtn(this)">
</form>
</body>
</html>

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.