Can't get my a:hover styled right

vincej
Go to solution Solved by cyberRobot,

post-77950-0-26105700-1378143443_thumb.png

Hi - I'm normally pretty good with css, but this time I am defeated. All I want is the white background behind the Navigation label extends right across the dropdown box. I have done the usual: checked the padding and margin. Also tried extending the width of the a tag and nothing works. When I make changes to these css selectors in Firebug they get crossed through. However, I can not see any other active value in the Firebug css listing which impacts the background color. 

Ok - you can not see the rest of the css style sheet, but under normal conditions what usually works  given that each Nav label is slightly different in length ?? 

Many Many Thanks ! 

Hi Guys - Many thanks for your advice so far. But sadly I continue to fail in getting it right. I have just today put the pre-production site up on a subdomain: 

http://parish.jacobssoftwareanddesign.com/

Can you have a look at the drop down "the parish" and see what stupid thing I am misssing on the sub menu - all I want is that the white background extends across the width of the dropdown when you hover over it. 

Many Many Thanks !! 

• Solution

Now I didn't look at all the CSS, but the menu seems to work with the following changes:

• Under ".dropdown-menu li a", add "width:205px;"
  • Under "#menu a", change the text-align property to "left"
  • Add a ".dropdown-menu li a:hover" option and add "width:205px;"

Note that I don't know what that does with the rest of the website. You'll have some cleaning up to do...and some testing.

Edited by cyberRobot

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.