6 replies to this topic

#1 Rita_Ruah

Rita_Ruah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hello, I haven't found any tutorial regarding this topic, how should I do this? Should the backoffice generate xml?

It's a very simple site, but I don't want to use a db.

Thanks.

#2 Muddy_Funster

Muddy_Funster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

why would you not want to use a database? :confused:
Without a database you are going to be depandant on flat tile storage and filesystem IO commands.

A simple password hash :

function makePass($word=''){
  $dbSalt = '$2a$07$'.substr(hash('whirlpool',$word),0,22);
  $dbPass = crypt($word, $dbSalt);
 return substr($dbPass,12);
}

My SQL/PHP Blog

#3 Psycho

Psycho

Advanced Member

• Gurus
  • 10,753 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

There really is no way to provide a good answer because without knowing all the details of what EXACTLY you need there's no way to provide any guidance. For example, if all you need to allow is modification of text on existing pages you could probably build something yourself. And, doing that with flat-files is an acceptable solution, in my opinion.. However, if you need to allow changes to styles of that text it gets a little more complicated. And, if you need to allow changes to positioning, images, etc. it gets even more complicated.

The quality of the responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked.

I do not always test the code I provide, so there may be some syntax errors. In 99% of all cases I found the solution to your problem here: http://www.php.net

#4 Rita_Ruah

Rita_Ruah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

I want to create a simple cms with a simple backoffice so that my parents can use it to add posts to their online cooking book.

As I love new ideas, I would want to create a simple cms that instead of a database would use a xml file or something.

What main features should I seek, in my head:

- 2 or 3 templates

- Security (Admin login)

- Simple way to add posts

- Simple way to edit css (when saving it would save a new css file)

Thanks for your feedback

#5 fastsol

fastsol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

You can make a simple backoffice scenario just as easy with a db, if not easier than with flat files.  A secure login system is much harder to achieve with out a db.  Is there a specific reason you don't want to use a db?  You could use a prebuilt system like wordpress if you just need simple blog posting and file editing.

You never know everything, I learn everday!

http://amecms.com

http://amewebdesigns.com

#6 mac_gyver

mac_gyver

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

moving this thread to the Application Design forum section.

multi-purpose programming fool and resident naysayer [We try not be negative in replies, but telling someone what they're doing wrong, while staying politically correct, isn't always going to happen.]

#7 RobertP

RobertP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Ok, i strongly recommend using sqlite in your circumstance. It is a db, but it has no dependencies, except php support which i believe comes pre-installed..
u tha king Pikachu2000!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com