Custom CMS Help for a noobie!

tcornell05

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, but I'm making this post because of my sincere frustration with PHP right now. I love web development and I do have a passion for it.

Right now I'm working on a personal portfolio, and I would like for it to be all created from scratch using HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP. I want to have a basic Home Page, About, Portfolio, and Contact page. I want to have an admin section to log in with. 
I want the public to not be able to do anything but view whats on the pages
I want the admin to be able to edit whats on a page with some sort of WYSIWYG box

The reason I want to take my own approach instead of using wordpress, or drupal; is because I'm really looking forward to furthering my education and feel it would be a good experience. I've made basic login systems, and CRUD systems in School. But never have I done one with my own project.  I have all of the HTML done, and the layout of the site  (design aspect) complete. But whats next?what should my database look like?

My Question: Where do I start? If this were you, how would you do this? 

I'm really looking for someone to help draw this out for me and tell me how you'd approach this. Your help is sincerely appreciated.

you would start by examining existing code for each smaller task that you want to accomplish, to see how other programmer's accomplished the same task. then you would try to design, write, and test your own code, from scratch, to perform any specific task. once you have knowledge and experience with all the smaller tasks that make up the application, you can go about putting all the pieces together in an organized way that accomplishes the overall goal.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.