Photo

PROTECT THOSE DREAMS! PROTECT OPEN SOURCE!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 .josh

.josh

.josh

• Administrators
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

(posted on behalf of Eric Rosebrock)

I know most of our developers use our forums, but for those on Facebook, I want to let you know that as a software developer you may one day be served with a patent infringement for even the simplest thing such as a Login System or a CSS Tag.

You need to beware that this can and WILL happen, and it's going to be an uphill battle for you to try and win. Patent Trolling has affected many Open Source Developers in a way that ruins their lives, their creativity, and their workmanship not to mention innovation.

Guys, I've been teaching you PHP for over 10 years now. I've directly and indirectly helped you in so many ways to make money, to build cool things, and live your dreams.

PROTECT THOSE DREAMS!! PROTECT OPEN SOURCE!

Check out the Application Developers Alliance on Facebook. A Non-Profit Organization that has recently helped me tremendously.

https://www.facebook...lliance?fref=ts

Sincerely,
Eric 'phpfreak' Rosebrock
Founder of PHP Freaks

Photo from 2003 with Rasmus Lerdorf (founder of PHP) and Eric Rosebrock (founder of PHP Freaks).

https://www.facebook...lliance?fref=ts

Did I help you? Feeling generous? Donate to me! || Donate to phpfreaks!
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#2 QuickOldCar

QuickOldCar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Pennsylvania

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Patents were first created so that the person who had the idea first can benefit from it, but they were never meant to be permanent, all the laws appended got ridiculous.

If ask me, the patent system should be abolished, places like China for one don't abide by them, many on the inside cheat the system.

I'm sure is a few people out there that know someone or tried themselves to apply for a patent and got denied or delayed, all of a sudden there is your idea in another persons hands.

Patents limit technology, imagination and innovation.

DynaIndex.com
Dynamic search index of websites, links, feeds, title, description, keywords and thumbnail snapshot.

#3 objnoob

objnoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

Only I, myself, can limit my imagination. I respect proprietaries and always credit open source.

You can conquer your world! That decision is all yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com