integrating a payment gateway

etsonarantes

If you're not sure how to make a payment gateway then you probably shouldn't. There are plenty of services out there that have done the work for you already.

I'd second that.  

If you're looking for services, PayPal would love to handle it, Amazon.com has Amazon Payments; a standard setup is a provider like Authorize.net and a merchant account at your local bank.

Thank for your time guys :)

@dalescop so you think paypal would help me integrate their payment gateway in my script? what about authorize?

Authorize.Net provides documentation online for integrating their service. Perhaps your questions will be answered in the FAQ:

http://developer.authorize.net/faqs/

...or maybe in their training videos:

http://developer.authorize.net/training/

I haven't used PayPal in this capacity before, but I would imagine they have similar resources available.

I have integrated Paypal Website Payments Pro (Direct Payments & Express Checkout), including Cardinal Commerce (used for 3D secure transactions i.e Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode) many times. This is used for taking card payments on your own website so you will need an SSL certificate. There are code examples available that you can download, however they are nowhere near the finished article that you should put into a production website. I would not recommend even attempting to integrate this without reading all the documentation thoroughly.

On the other hand, if you would like to integrate a payment gateway where a user leaves your site, makes a payment (lets say, on Paypal's website) and then is returned to your website once a payment has been made, then this is not too difficult. Paypal have IPN (Instant payment notification). Basically you create a form that when submitted, sends a user to Paypal. The form contains hidden fields containing the amount, currency code, etc. You also create a page on your site that Paypal contacts (in the background) when a payment is made. This page is waiting for POST data containing certain things. If it sends a success message to the page then you can process the customers order via the same page. Most payment gateways work in the same way.

If you still don't feel comfortable attempting an integration then there will be web companies that will do it for you. That being said, as you site is a custom script your code maybe up for scrutiny. Most companies offering payment gateway integrations do it for off-the-shelf scripts such as osCommerce, Joomla, Drupal, Zen Cart, etc

I wouldn't bank on getting help from Paypal in terms of coding. Most of their code examples are written by third party developers. However, if you can understand the examples it is pretty straight forward to bastardize them to fit your script. You must read all documentation so you clearly understand how the payments process works and the data it expects to receive, and the responses it posts back to your website.

Edited by neil.johnson

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.