if (!preg_match(

jebediah

Well, i hope this is ending up in the right place, if not i'm sorry.

First of, i'm still not that familiar with php as i hope to be.

I have a a slight problem with a registration code that i need help with.

First.

if (!preg_match(
"/^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,3})$/i", 
$email_address))
{
    $errors .= "\n Fel: Ogiltig E-mail adress";
}

if( empty($errors))

This code works just fine. But i i want to remove the if( empty($errors)) line. How would the code look like then?

I've tried several solution but non of them works.

Second.

I have to add a new code similar to the $email_address code named something like $med_nr, but the entering option would look something like this

S18757/2002

There's always a S in the beginning, 5 numbers then a / and then 4 numbers again.

Any help with this is appreciated.

RegExp for the 2nd question would look like this...

#S[\d]{5}/[\d]{4}#

As for the RegExp you posted, you can use commonly used shortcuts, like [\w] instead of [a-zA-Z_-], I think that'd help you somewhat.

Edit: Forgot a backslash.

Edited by Irate

• 2 months later...

[] is a character class and will match any one thing in it. So doing something like this or [\d] is superfluous; you'd just put S or \d (or whatever) without the [] surrounding it. In fact, \d itself is a character class. It's shorthand for [0-9]. So to match for S or an E, you would have [sE]. But since you want to match an S optionally followed by an E, then you'd do SE?.

Also, you're matching for a forward-slash but you're also using that as the pattern delimiter. So you have to escape the forward-slash in your pattern or else use a different pattern delimiter. I personally like using ~ since it rarely ever comes up, and / is pretty common because php is used with web stuff so matching paths and (x)html is common and / is a common symbol in them. # is also a popular alternative.

So overall, you should just have

~^SE?\d{5}/\d{4}$~

As to your first question:

First.

if (!preg_match(
"/^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,3})$/i", 
$email_address))
{
    $errors .= "\n Fel: Ogiltig E-mail adress";
}

if( empty($errors))
This code works just fine. But i i want to remove the if( empty($errors)) line. How would the code look like then?

I've tried several solution but non of them works.

I'm going to assume that you tried just removing if( empty($errors)) and that "didn't work". Well that line isn't directly part of your email regex condition, so I can't tell you why it "didn't work" or how to remove it in a way that "works". You're going to have to explain what you mean by "didn't work". What is (not) happening that you (don't) want to happen?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.