<? ?> vs <? Php ?>

middlecat

Hi,

I've been told it would be best to change my code to update it. The example given was change from its current state of <? ?> to <? Php ?>

I am not a dev so want to ensure this is a legitimate request given the cost estimate is much higher as a result.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

the short opening tag is not always enabled, resulting in code that is not portable between different php configurations.

there should be little to no cost in converting code to use full opening php tags. it would take about two minutes using a couple of search/replaces with a editor that can operate on all files within a project.

edit: and i just noticed you posted this in the html help forum. moving to the php help forum....

Edited by mac_gyver

yes, by all means, change them, but be aware you may have parts in you code like this:

<?=$variable;?> (very common amongst people who use short tags) This case is shorthand for an echo and should be changed to <?php echo $variable;?>

also, in your initial post you wrote <? Php ?>... it's <?php to open and ?> to close (there's no space between ? and php )

hope this helps

I am not a dev so want to ensure this is a legitimate request given the cost estimate is much higher as a result.

I'm curious about how the cost estimate is much higher because of this.. it's a legitimate request, but it doesn't sound like you're being given a legitimate estimate. But then, I haven't seen your site, so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks all. He just said via skype IM that the code was outdated and he thought it best to update now (with the shirt tags as an example). The reason I was surprised is that This is the second phase of my project. I started with a dev who had other commitments so this guy took over. In phase 1 new contractor was saying that he was having to work through the code as it was outdated but he still made the entire site responsive and completed a heap of requirements. Now In phase 2, I have a third the volume of requirements which are mainly bugs rather than new dev, and he has quoted me the same price as phase 1where there were 3 times the requirements and he worked to make it responsive.

I'd also add that there is an old axiom that is mostly true. It takes 10% of the work to get 90% done and another 90% of the work to complete the last 10%.

It's easy to build something brand new that does "X". But, then when you add a new requirement to do "Y" it takes a lot more effort since you have to go back and refactor the original code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.