custom url rewriting in wordpress

jasmeet
Go to solution Solved by zantins,

hello,

on click this link, i am redirecting to page-listing-category.php page. and all listing are shown there.

http://domain-name/listing-category/?a=hello

but i want this link as  http://domain-name/listing-category/hello

... i use this code in function.php

add_rewrite_tag("%a%",'([0-9]+)');

$a = get_query_var("a"); // Wordpress way
add_rewrite_rule('listing-category/([0-9]+)/?$', 'index.php?page_id=page-listing-category&a=$matches[1]', 'top');
add_rewrite_tag("%a%",'([0-9]+)');
add_rewrite_rule('listing-category/([0-9]+)/?$', 'index.php?page_id=page-listing-category&a=$matches[1]', 'top');
$wp_rewrite->flush_rules();

but, problem is the above isn't working ...

can anypne suggest me something on this. ??

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Lets use the above quoted line as an example. First thing i would suggest here  is to remove the last slash, the question mark and the $ from your query string. You can put it back later after you tested a few things.

Next you should reference the page slug with "pagename" not "page_id"

The next thing would be that this function should be called within the wordpress "init" action hook. For example: add_action("init","my_init_function");

You need to hook into the "query_vars" hook and add your variables, for example your "a" query var to the wordpress query variables:

function my_query_vars($vars){

$vars[] = "a";

return $vars;

}

add_filter("query_vars","my_query_vars");

Finally, go into the wordpress admin to Settings->permalinks and hit save, to refresh your permalinks setup.

Give that a try, it may need some playing around with but that is the basics of what needs to be done. You would then  access your query var in the page template as: get_query_var("a");

Lets use the above quoted line as an example. First thing i would suggest here  is to remove the last slash, the question mark and the $ from your query string. You can put it back later after you tested a few things.

Next you should reference the page slug with "pagename" not "page_id"

The next thing would be that this function should be called within the wordpress "init" action hook. For example: add_action("init","my_init_function");

You need to hook into the "query_vars" hook and add your variables, for example your "a" query var to the wordpress query variables:

Finally, go into the wordpress admin to Settings->permalinks and hit save, to refresh your permalinks setup.

Give that a try, it may need some playing around with but that is the basics of what needs to be done. You would then  access your query var in the page template as: get_query_var("a");

thanks for your reply .

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.