Where to place DB calls during refactoring

dennis-fedco

I am refactoring a huge legacy codebase.  This codebase has SQL code everywhere.  i.e. if any function needs some data from a database, it just calls the SQL right there and uses it.
If I started from scratch I'd consider using Doctrine, or maybe some kind of an active record.  But ... I basically want to refactor, and I am kind of lost ... What can I do with the SQL DB calls to refactor the code to a better more maintainable state?

I mean what is the best practice today when it comes to using Databases in your code? 

Using an ORM is definitely the way to go, centralizing the codebase for making queries helps with future expansion (as well as if you need to swap out db technologies) and, with well implemented libraries, will help mitigate security holes such as sql-injection.

For lightweight use, I'm a big fan of Idiorm (and Paris if you need active record support) http://j4mie.github.io/idiormandparis/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.