$create_table = "SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `" .$date."`;
CREATE TABLE `".$date."` (
  `transaction_id` varchar(11) NOT NULL,
  `name` varchar(255) character set latin1 default NULL,
  `price` varchar(255) character set latin1 default NULL
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8";

$run_query = mysql_query($create_table);

SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0; DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `Mar_15_2014`; CREATE TABLE `Mar_15_2014` ( `transaction_id` varchar(11) NOT NULL, `name` varchar(255) character set latin1 default NULL, `price` varchar(255) character set latin1 default NULL ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

Ok so i am some what confused as to why my table is not being created with this.

When I insert the query directly into SQL the table is created with no error or issue. So i know the statement is true and syntax is not an issue.

When i create the variable in PHP with the same query, then try to run the query, the same table is then not created in the DB.

Am i missing a step ? usually this is pretty straight forward when working with DB. I would usually grab the data then fetch the array, then extract the data into a set of variables.

Any suggestions ?

you cannot string multiple queries together and run them at one time. you must run each query separately -

mysql_query() sends a unique query (multiple queries are not supported) to the currently active database on the server that's associated with the specified link_identifier.

next, you should NOT be making a database table using a date as the table name. that is a bad design that will prevent you from easily using the data spread out across the many tables. you should have a date column in ONE table that identifies the date the data corresponds to.

• Solution

Yeah, that's a pretty broken schema design. First thing you need to do is revisit that, perhaps find a good relational database tutorial.

I see people trying to use PHP to create and manipulate database schemas all the time, and unless you're using some sort of migration facility from a framework, it seems a bit of an exercise in futility.

I have always written straight SQL scripts and fed them into the mysql command line client through stdin.

transactions.sql

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `transactions`;

CREATE TABLE `transactions` (
  `transaction_id` varchar(11) NOT NULL,
  `name` varchar(255) character set latin1 default NULL,
  `price` varchar(255) character set latin1 default NULL,
  `transaction_date` DATETIME default NULL
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
$ mysql --database=mydatabase < transactions.sql

Also, unless things have changed, MyISAM tables do not support foreign keys so using SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS is useless.

Edited by boompa

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.