<UL> and <LI> using php

adman4054

I've searched Google and can quite get this to work after hours of searching.

I'm trying to use an unordered list. Like this:

<ul id="demoOne" class="demo">
    <li class="ln-_" style= "display: none;"> <a href="#"> 411 Services </a> <li>
    <li class="ln-a;"> <a href="#"> Adams </a> <li>
    <li class="ln-z;"> <a href="#"> fake </a> <li>
</ul>

Using this code, I cant get the <UL> to only appear once in the code. Can I still use "echo" when trying to use the above?

while($company = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {

echo "<tr><td width='125' class='bodyTxt'>". $company['t2'] ." </td><td class='bodyTxt'><a href='CompanyContact.php?companyID=".$company['t2']. "'class='adminLink'>" . "<li>" . $company['t1'] ." </li></a></td></tr>";

As shown in the above code, I need $company[t1] to be the list itself (<li>company a </li> under the <ul> as shown in my first code block.) $company [t2] is just a number and needs to appear with [t1], but isn't part of the <li> list.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Query

include("../inc/conn.php");		  
				//$query = mysql_query("SELECT company.companyName t1, company.companyID t2, companycontact.contactID t3 from company, companycontact where company.companyID=companycontact.companyID ORDER BY company.companyName");

$query = mysql_query("SELECT company.companyName t1, company.companyID t2 from company ORDER BY company.companyName");
				$num_rows=mysql_num_rows($query);  

I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I think what you want is:

echo '<ul class=...."';//note outside while loop

echo "<li> <a href=\"#\" >" . $company['t1'] ." </li></a>\n";
}
echo '</ul>';//note outside while loop

Note that the close </a> tag needs to go inside the close </li> tag.

<?php
echo '<ul class=...."';
     echo "<li><a href=\"#\">" . $company['t1'] . "</a></li>"; //<-- NOTE: close </a> tag was moved inside the close </li> tag
}
echo '</ul>';
?>

So when I look at the source when putting the code outside the loop, it says "Start <ul> inside a table.." in red, so I assume I need to place that outside the table that Ch0cu3r was asking? The entire page is "tableized" (dont think that is a real word, but......). any place else I put it, it doesn't start with the <ul>

I'm using a jquery called ListNav and it isnt picking up the structure that it needs to work;

ul id="demoOne" class="demo">
<li class="ln-_" style= "display: none;"> <a href="#"> 411 Services </a> <li>
<li class="ln-a;"> <a href="#"> Adams </a> <li>
<li class="ln-z;"> <a href="#"> fake </a> <li>
</ul>

So do I need to somehow get rid of the tables for this to work? Appreciate the time :)

No, no you can have a  list within a table, along as it is in a table cell (<td></td>).

<table>
  <tr>
    <td>
      text
      <ul>
        <li>item 1</li>
        <li>item 2</li>
      </ul>
    </td>
  </tr>
</table>

The way how you are describing your problem is you're wanting the list to do something like this

<ul>
<table>
   <tr>
      <td> text <li>item 1</li></td>
   </tr>
   <tr>
      <td> another <li>item 2</li></td>
   </tr>
</table>
</ul>

Which you cant do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.