PUT to Restful API using PHP cURL

Inspector Mills

Hi there

I need to use cURL to change the status of an order on a Restful API using PHP.  The instructions I received from the developers of the API is as follows:

curl -X PUT \
-d
"order[status]=S"
[site url]

In addition to this, they informed me that it is necessary to be signed in, with the credentials supplied.

So, my problems are these:
1. what is the syntax for the PUT action in PHP cURL?
2. how do I sign in to the site with PHP?

Any guidance will be appreciated

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Since it was brought up here, in general REST advocates the following concept:

GET -- for Getting information about something.

POST -- for creating a new item

PUT -- for modifying an existing item

DELETE -- for removing an item.

Since these items are orders, it seems like they follow the REST conventions although it's unclear what the restful endpoint that identifies the order would be just from your example.

It looks like you have something like:

foo.com/order#

Where I'd expect something like:

foo.com/order/order#

If you use chrome, I've found this plugin provides a nice alternative to testing things with command line curl:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/postman-rest-client/fdmmgilgnpjigdojojpjoooidkmcomcm?hl=en

That postman looks useful.

Easier to read about it here.

http://www.getpostman.com/

Yeah it has a macro capability which is really nice when you are testing against multiple server environments. You can setup your routes to use variables, and reference endpoints or header variables that way.

And of course the main advantage is you can save the routes into groups. Here's one example I have:

{{host}}{{port}}{{con}}/member/account
Then you create an environment and go in and setup those variables, so for example you might have my-local-api env:

host  localhost
port  :4066
con   /app_dev.php
authkey   c342oiu4o2u3.... etc
And wherever there are parameters or header variables you need to set you can use the environment variables, so in the routes or in a header variable like our-api-token {{token}}

Really a nice tool!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.