About OOPs PHP and Codeigniter

shankaar

hello....

I am a  new bee to PHP...can any one please let me know...why OOPs PHP...what make difference...between procedural(Generic) PHP  and OOPs PHP...if possible provide me any referal links...

and i have gone through Codeigniter user guide....it was quite good...but can any one let me know how to develop an entire web-application...in Codeigniter....if possible provide me any referal links...

Thanks & Regards

Shankaar

There are entire books about the topic of OOP.

For CI, how about http://tutorialcodeigniter.com

I don't use CI and I don't recommend it, because it's antiquated.  Why learn a framework that came out eight years ago, when PHP had a lot fewer OOP features.

I'd suggest you instead learn symfony2 which as a community has been instrumental in moving the state of PHP development forward:  http://symfony.com

Although not free, this company run by the symphony documentation lead, has a low cost video series that will teach you symfony2 development:  http://knpuniversity.com

Are you new to programming in general, or just PHP? I ask because jumping into frameworks and OOP is probably way more than you can handle if you don't have any programming experience at all. Even if you think you can handle working with CodeIgniter, which is one of the easiest frameworks to use, that doesn't mean you should. I say this because I've used CodeIgniter for years, and can't tell you how many people ask questions on their forums about simple PHP problems. They were misunderstanding framework usage, thinking that the framework eliminated the need for knowing PHP. It's my opinion that you should get some procedural PHP skills before jumping on the framework bandwagon. I used PHP for more than 3 years before I even started in with OOP. You're not likely to create anything awesome if you don't know PHP and try to use a PHP framework.

Also, just something to consider, is the amount of crap code produced by CodeIgniter users, who will gladly give it to you for free. CodeIgniter used to have a Wiki, but since they dropped the Wiki from their website, you will now find CodeIgniter "solutions" all over the internet. Remember, just because they exist doesn't mean they are safe to use, or that they won't have serious limitations or issues.

Last but not least, CodeIgniter's newer 3.X branch has a user license that may not work in many business environments. Be wary and read the license!

Edited by sKunKbad

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.