Framework Suggestion

Jaswinder

Hi guys

I am a php programmer and  in a big confusion. I want to learn a framework, but can't figure out which one start ?

CakePHP

Codelgniter

Symfony

laravel

I am new to them, so you can suggest me which one to start 1st and move on to other. Or If i miss any other framework , you can tell me that also.

Any help is appriciable.

Thanks

Codelgniter is an abomination and a dying project so forget it.

Any of the other 3 are probably worthwhile though I don't hear much about Cake these days (but that is likely just the circles I hang in).

As for where to start. This question gets asked all the time and the answer is always the same. Try them all and see.

If I were in your position I would spend a weekend with each, and then decide. They are all very capable, so it's just personal opinions as to which one you like best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone should hate it, its just a really big class - pile of (insert very foul word).

I'm extremely fond of laravel. Put together such that its relatively intuitive and provides some extremely useful features. Its also quite a mature framework which is generally a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Laravel is best choice.

Now, in laravel 4.3(official release in september) the app structure is a more "programming approach". You will be really happy to work with laravel.

I thought I read the other day that because of the amount of changes in Laravel 4.3 it was being pushed out as Laravel 5?

• 1 month later...

Im also looking for a framework,  but Laravel seems too fast moving for me.  I want something with a relatively long lifecycle per release.  I don't have time to relearn stuff every couple of months.

Any suggestions.  I need really lightweight,  shallow learning curve,  keeps out of the way,  but comes with a nice feature set that I can use if I want to.  I find out of the box Auth never does what I want ect so don't want to be forced to use something.

• 3 weeks later...

Im also looking for a framework,  but Laravel seems too fast moving for me.  I want something with a relatively long lifecycle per release.  I don't have time to relearn stuff every couple of months.

Any suggestions.  I need really lightweight,  shallow learning curve,  keeps out of the way,  but comes with a nice feature set that I can use if I want to.  I find out of the box Auth never does what I want ect so don't want to be forced to use something.

Can't believe you registered just to post that. CodeIgniter sounds perfect for you.

• 2 months later...

Yes, I am agreed with Adam. To start with and getting acquainted with the MVC approach, CodeIgniter is fine. Hopefully it will catch up with the advancement taking place in the PHP world; but, till then you can start with CI. 

• 2 months later...

Out of all four I would go with Laravel. They have a ton of tutorials at laracasts.com that make it really easy to learn. On another note, I would seriously consider looking into Yii2, before making a final decision

• 3 months later...

I suggest you to use Symphony 2, it offers more oportunities for developers, if you are an amatour you can consider Yii, it has design that minimizes integration hassles with third-party components and fast performance. There are an interesting article about choosing perfect PHP Framework for you, including terse descriptions of the most popular and  common ones: http://webinerds.com/choose-php-application-framework/.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...