Relayed forms lost?

billjust

Hi- I've got a few simple forms on my site that get relayed over to our email server when the submit button is hit.  The forms, in turn, get emailed to the predetermined recipients from that mail server.  It's been working great for years, but we changed our mail server recently and didn't point the php.ini config to the new server and we've missed some form submissions for a few days (I know, I know).  Looking at the PHP error log, I've got about 140 "PHP Warning:  mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: SMTP server response: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated in " entries, which tells me we missed 140 form submissions.  My question is: is there any way to retrieve these form submissions?  Are they sitting someplace on my site that I can extract them from?  Do they literally just disappear if they can't get to the SMTP server?

Many thanks in advance for any responses!

is there any way to retrieve these form submissions?  Are they sitting someplace on my site that I can extract them from?

I very much doubt it, Unless either your script records the submissions somewhere or your  SMTP server dumps the failed messages somewhere on the server.

I've got about 140 "PHP Warning:  mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: SMTP server response: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated in " entries,

Sounds to me your new SMTP server requires authentication before emails can be sent. PHP's built in mail() function does not support servers that require authentication. In this case you'll need to use a third part PHP script called PHPMailer instead.

I would have thought there would be some type of retention.

Any data sent to the server is only held in memory temporarily. It will not permanently retain the information from a request unless you specifically tell it what it is want to stored and where.

If the data sent from your form is important then maybe you should consider saving it in a database first before emailing it the recipient.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.