need to change array to checkboxes in form

jadesource

Hi

I'm totally green when it comes to php, but am learning it the hard way. Any help is appreciated.

I have a form the currenty uses a custom taxonomy but it has a text field, and I want it to call and list the taxonomy items with checkboxes so instead of entering words the visitor can just multiple check off the taxonomies that relate to them.

It's a job board, this is the job skill part that relates to their expertise.

There is a job category in the form, and I tried to use the syntax to get the taxonomy and implode it but 

I really don't know what I'm doing.

See the "skills" item? I want to make that a bunch of checkboxes to allow selection the the pre defined resume_skills taxonomy.

http://outsourcing.jadesource.com/submit-resume-free/

Any help would be great, and I'm not sure what code I need to put in here.

Mark

Checkboxes work by assigning ALL of them the same 'name=' attribute.  Your html for a checkbox would look like:

<input type='checkbox' name='skills[]' value='1'><label> Skill 1</label>
<input type='checkbox' name='skills[]' value='2'><label> Skill 2</label>

Create as many of these as you need with each having a unique value attribute and label.  Then in your php code you will create a loop to go thru the returned $_POST elements that will be in the 'name' index in an array.

$invalid_skill = false;
$have_skills=false;
foreach ($_POST['skill'] as $skill)
{
    if (!in_array($skill,array(1,2,3,4,5)))
    {
         $invalid_skill=true;
    }
    else
    {
        $have_skills = true;
    }
}
if (!$invalid_skill)
{
    $err_msg = "You have an invalid skill";//  user hacked the form and produced something wrong
}
if (!$have_skills)
{
    $err_msg = "You must provide a skill";
}

Of course you can use the literal value of the skills in the value clauses instead of a number, but I think this gives you something to work with.

Hope to see your code attempt soon!

Gingerjm gave you an excellent strart. I think that you will should store a default set of the skills in a database (you could hardcode them in the form but I would recommend against that) and produce the initial checkboxes from your list rather than from POST data. You'll still need a text input because you can't possibly anticipate everything.

David - I wasn't suggesting that the initial checkboxes be created from POST data.  As I showed - they are created manually.  They could be created via a query that pulls down 'value' items and 'literal' skill names to be used in the html, but I left that to the OP's imagination and skill level

• Like 1

David - I wasn't suggesting that the initial checkboxes be created from POST data.  As I showed - they are created manually.  They could be created via a query that pulls down 'value' items and 'literal' skill names to be used in the html, but I left that to the OP's imagination and skill level

Sorry, I missed the manual creation. I believe that whether manually created or in a database, for the OPs purpose there needs to be an other box with the ability to put in freeform text if the box is checked. There is no way to compile a complete list of skills and keep it up to date.

Edited by davidannis

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.