json ajax

Destramic

im trying to get this ajax function working but for some reason it runs the error function...I've corresponded with the manual and I can't see a fault...any advise would be great...thanks

$(document).ready(function() 
{
	$.ajax(
	{
		url: "items.php",
		dataType: "json",
		data: '<?php echo $data; ?>',
		timeout: '2000',
		cache: false,

error: function(data) 
		{ 
                  alert('error');
	    },

success: function(data)
		{ 
			$.each(data, function() 
			{
				$("#table").append('<div class="row"><span class="cell">'+ data.title +'</span><span class="cell"></span><span class="cell"></span></div>');
			});
		}
	 });
});

Do not, I repeat, do not echo PHP values into a JavaScript context. This is almost guaranteed to cause a cross-site scripting vulnerability or at least a severe bug.

For example, if $data happens to contain a single quote, then the whole script will blow up with a syntax error. And if $data includes user-provided data, then an attacker can purposely break out of the JavaScript string and inject arbitrary code into your page (aka cross-site scripting).

First of all: What is $data, and why do you need to pass it from your page to the target script? Can't you retrieve it in the target script itself?

• 3 weeks later...

Do not, I repeat, do not echo PHP values into a JavaScript context. This is almost guaranteed to cause a cross-site scripting vulnerability or at least a severe bug.

For example, if $data happens to contain a single quote, then the whole script will blow up with a syntax error. And if $data includes user-provided data, then an attacker can purposely break out of the JavaScript string and inject arbitrary code into your page (aka cross-site scripting).

If $data includes user-provided data one should indeed be careful with echoing PHP data in a JS context. But the syntax error argument is a weak one, and no reason to "not, I repeat, not" echo them as such. That would limit the options way too much.

Just keep a keen eye on the syntax. And in case of problems, just use a debugger, which generally will point out the line with the (syntax) error.

Yeah, “just be careful”. We know how well that works. ;)

Unfortunately, programmers are not always as smart and careful as they think they are. Just recently, a fellow PHP developer had to load server-side translation strings into JavaScript. The strings don't come from the user, so the super-smart programmer figured that he didn't have to follow our standard practice of escaping all dynamic data. Things indeed went well – until we switched to French. The French use a lot of apostrophes in all kinds of places, and that's a problem within single-quoted strings. Long story short: Large parts of the application blew up, and our super-smart programmer began to understand why rules are sometimes a good idea.

Of course you're free to make your own mistakes. But I think every programmer should eventually realize that they aren't infallible and that “just be careful” just isn't good enough.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.