My mysqli_connect() problem

KeemW
Go to solution Solved by mac_gyver,

Hai, i'm not sure how to fix this error. any other method to update database?

Error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysqli_connect() in C:\xampp\htdocs\Sportify\admin\admin_goedit_profile.php on line 3

PHP:

<?php

$con=mysqli_connect("localhost","root","","sportify");
//check connection
if (mysqli_connect_errno())
{
echo "failed";
}

/* mysql_select_db(stationary, $con) or die("Could not select database"); */
/* include ('connection.php'); */

//$id = $_GET['id'];
$sql="UPDATE admin SET name='$_POST[name]', email='$_POST[email]', phone='$_POST[phone]', address='$_POST[address]' WHERE id = '$_POST[id]'";

if (mysqli_query($con,$sql))
{ 
header("Location: main_admin.php?page=admin_edit_profile.php&id='$_POST[id]'");
 //?id=".$_POST['id']."
}

mysqli_close($con);

?>

apparently, your Windows system has php4. the things you are trying to use, mysqli and PDO, were added to php in php5 and only exist in php5.

if you are not going to use the at least the same MAJOR version of php that you used to developed your code, you shouldn't expect your code to run.

parse errors that show up when moving between systems are usually due to using php's lazy short open <? tag, that's not portable between systems since it relies on a configuration setting, instead of using full opening tags <?php

i think i solved my problem. i didnt know that only mac can read the php's lazy short open tag

thank you!

i didnt know that only mac can read the php's lazy short open tag

Who said that?

Whether or not short tags can be used depends on the short_open_tag setting. Appearently it's activated on your Mac, but it's not activated on your Windows PC. So either activate it on Windows as well, or simply remove all short tags to solve this problem once and for all.

Edited by Jacques1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.