How is this achieved in the address bar

LyonsIceCream

Hi, firstly sorry if its a stupid question or if it is in the wrong section of the forum

I just wanted to know how this is achieved

If you go onto the website reed.co.uk and do a search lets say

Fabricator in Derby 

How do you get the address bar to say 

webaddress/jobs/fabricator-in-derby

Thanks for any help or advice you can give

They use Javascript to take what you enter into the boxes and generate the new URL, then re-direct you to that new URL.

After that they probably use something like mod_rewrite to map the URL to a script which extracts the parts and does the work. It you look up search engine friendly URL's you will find some information about how to setup the necessary re-writes.

They use Javascript to take what you enter into the boxes and generate the new URL, then re-direct you to that new URL.

After that they probably use something like mod_rewrite to map the URL to a script which extracts the parts and does the work. It you look up search engine friendly URL's you will find some information about how to setup the necessary re-writes.

Right ok thank you seems a bit advanced for me.

Does this method have any impact on SEO or is it more a "User Freindly" experience?

Right ok thank you seems a bit advanced for me.

Does this method have any impact on SEO or is it more a "User Freindly" experience?

I hear people swear it helps SEO. But you should be more concerned about your user, first thing would be getting all the other stuff right before focusing on pretty URL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.